Tuesday 4 July 2017

Needlework Tuesday - The Tri-Facta Approach to Needlework

 This past week I wanted to build in the success I was having with achieving small steps, but I couldn't decide which project I wanted to work on.  What the heck, I would work on all three in smallish time allotments.

First, I started on a cotton knit hand towel.   i used a free pattern, Red White and Blue Dishcloth, from Lily's Sugar 'n Cream at Yarnspirations, casting on 90 stitches instead of the 64 suggested.  I wanted a larger hand towel.  It features a hanging loop which is handy to keep it from falling on the ground.  I bought a large cone of the flecked yarn, so I might be making a few of these, though I am going to check out their other patterns.

 Fitten success.  I have completed the medium on the left and the large on the right.  Love the effect of the variegated yarn.  I have cast on another pair of the medium size.
Being that it was Canada Day on Saturday, I found it a fitting time to continue working  on my Maple Leaf wall hanging.  I started by machine quilting wavy lines across the body.  I used a thin thread and you can't really tell where it crosses the leaf.  So far I have sewn on 40 large buttons.  Next up, I have set aside the medium buttons.  It's taking a while since I have been triple stitching each button, I don't want  them to wiggle, and then knotting them off.  They will not be falling off any time soon.  I'll keep you posted as I add more buttons.  For reference, the wall hanging is about 22 x 22 inches.

I found that I got quite a bit accomplished by alternating between the three projects.  When I got tired or reached any sort of roadblock, I got up, walked around for a bit or read, and then picked up a different project.  This way, each project kept feeling fresh.  I think I can keep doing this with three projects, but four might be too many. I don't want any confusion and I do want to see progress. Too many projects and the progress is spread out and I won't see the results I need to spur me on.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your current needlework post.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I think you might be right, more than three projects runs the risk of wasting too much time trying to figure out where you left off. You are zooming along on those slippers.

Marie said...

Nice work, Heather.

Very pretty hand towel. Love that blue.

I have a love/hate relationship with variegated yarn, especially the high contrast stuff. Sometimes I like the way it knits up and other times, not so much. Those fittens, though, are fabulous. Both outcomes are so nice. At least they match (mostly) their partners. I don't always have that luck.

Your wall hanging is coming along nicely. I'll be watching your progress with anticipation.