Sunday 16 July 2017

What We Saw At Night by Jacquelyn Mitchard


 Three teens; Allie, Juliet and Rob, live life on the fringe.  They thrive at night when most others are asleep.  No, they are not vampires, they have a rare genetic defect known as XP - Xeroderma Pigmentosum.  Any exposure to sunlight will leave them with sever skin damage or worse.

Knowing they have a shortened life span, they seek out thrilling activities hat will push them to the edge.  One night while practising Parkour at a neighbouring apartment block, Allie catches a glimpse through a window of what she thinks is a murder.  This sets the three on a series of encounters that risk theirs and others lives.

For me, one of the most satisfying things about reading, is learning something new.  I'd never really thought about how confining life would be if I couldn't see the sun.  Fortunately, the three don't have any fond memories of the sun and have developed their own lifestyle that gives them the freedom of the darkness.  Together they are friends and their own support unit.

This is a fast paced story that kept me anxiously waiting for the next chapter.  It was practically agony each time I had to put the book down.  When I reached the end, I was left hanging.  I have some suspicions but will have to wait for the next book, What We Lost in the Dark, for answers.

Also by Jacquelyn Mitchard:

Two if by Sea

Cover image courtesy Soho Press Teen.

#IndigoEmployee

1 comment:

Mystica said...

Intriguing definitely.