Saturday 21 April 2018

Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

When I picked up this book, I didn't realize how much I needed to read it.

I don't know anyone who wants to go back and relive their teenage years.  Sure, there may have been great moments, during high school, but in reflection, I wouldn't willingly do it all again.

Sixteen year old Simon has no choice.  He's a junior and still has a way to go before graduation.  he hasn't come out as gay and planned to keep it that way for a while yet.  When Martin, the class clown, finds out he black mails Simon into helping him get the girl of his dreams in exchange for keeping Simon's secret.

Such a horrible situation for Simon. Yet it also shows how desperate Martin is to feel liked.  Social dynamics in high school are far more complex than I remember.  I tried to red this with an eye to a teens perspective and how they don't have the decades of experience in dealing with relationships.  I think I was successful as I could feel his pain and wanted to help him out.  His friends also seemed to react in realistic ways.  They wanted to help Simon, but at the same time had to deal with their own dramas. 

This is an excellent book for both teens and adults.  A great conversation started.

#IndigoEmployee

2 comments:

Mystica said...

We did not have complicated high school years as such so I always find it a bit incomprehensible. Things have changed of course now. Thanks for the review.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

No, not years I'd particularly like to revisit. This however sounds like a book I'd really enjoy, thanks for your review.