Thursday 5 February 2009

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks


I listened to this book while I was quilting last week. At times my hands stilled while a critical development was revealed and when the moment of excitement passed, I would again begin to stitch.
-
The story slowly reveals the various people who were involved in the creation and preservation of the Sarajevo Haggadah since it's writing in Spain in 1492. It was almost like reading a book of short stories with Hannah Heath, the book conservator, acting as the narrator to link them all together. As Hannah worked with the book, she found various clues: an insect wing, wine stain, hair and salt, that served as launching points for these important side stories. Clues to Hannah's life were also revealed through out the story.
-
I enjoyed the way the different cultural and religious groups lived and worked together. Life was not easy at many of the times portrayed in the book, but when the Muslims, Jewish and Christians worked together, life was definitely richer.
-
There is a little bit of everything in the book, something to appeal to all readers. History, be sure to read the interview of Geraldine with James Mustich, Editor and Chief of the Barnes & Noble Review, romance between Hannah and the museum Director in Sarajevo, the adventure during... oops, can't go there and start revealing too much of the story.
-
"The People of the Book" would make a good Book Club read. There is a reading guide and location map at the author's website.
-
The picture featured here is from the author's website. Thank-you.

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Sounds like an interesting book! I'll have to watch for it at the library. Thanks for stopping by my place. I'll make sure I have some tissues when I read "By The Time You Read This". Have a great evening!

Sherrie