Tuesday 10 February 2009

Needlework Tuesday


Last Thursday I started a new knitting project. I am using Koigu Fingering weight Merino wool. It's really a bit more orange than the picture shows.
My pattern is from the book "Merino Knits" by Morehouse Farms. On page 50 is a pattern for a lovely spiral ruffle scarf. I only have one more row to knit and then cast off, but I can't imagine how this is going to turn into what is shown in the book. My cast on row measures 20 inches when stretched, yet the pattern says the scarf will measure 54 inches.

I have gone the Morehouse website and sent them a comment asking for help. Its only been 3 business days, so hopefully they will check the pattern and let me know what I have done wrong. I have used less than 1/2 the amount of wool, I am wondering if I knit 2 sections and seam them together at the centre back. If this won't work for me there is another pattern on page 84 for a diagonally knitted scarf that would be wonderful.



This week I have moved on to quilting the blocks that are bordered with the alternating triangles. These will be fun. The outer row of triangles on each block is the same, but the centres are all different.

Rather than try and mark around each triangle, I am using 1/4 inch quilters tape to mark where I want to stitch. In the 4Th pictures you can see the dark green tape in place. The final picture shows after I have removed the tape. I still need to stitch in the ditch just inside the blue triangles. They are too puffy at this point.
I have had a few visitors this week and they have all enjoyed seeing my quilt spread out for the first time. One has even offered to come back and spend some time with a needle.
If you happen to be in Conestogo in the next while, bring your thimble.

No comments: