Friday 9 October 2009

First Nations/Aboriginal Fridays: Joseph Brant


Joseph Brant (Thayendanegea) 1742 - 1807
.
There are two entries in this book by Joseph Brant, the first a letter to an un-identified gentleman and the second a letter of condolence. Both are written in a very thoughtful and eloquent manner. They invite, practically implore you to continue reading. Even though I have only read these two passages, it is easy to understand why Mr. Brant was such a good choice of statesman for the people of the Six Nations Confederacy. He played a major roll in the granting of lands to those loyal to the British when they located to where is now known as Brantford, Ontario.
.
Joseph Brant is also known for his translation of the 'Book of Common Prayer' and selections of 'the Bible' , including the Gospel of St. Mark into the Mohawk Language.
.
Unfortunately I was unable to determine if there is a collection of letters written by Joseph Brant.
.
Further Information about Joseph Brant:

3 comments:

The Book Chick said...

How interesting! I'm from Brantford (I don't live there now, but my parents and husbands parents still do) and Joseph Brant is such an interesting historical figure.

Heather said...

I live about 45 minutes from Brantford. OUr house is a short distance from a branch of the Grand River which is still disputed territory in the Haldimand Tract.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

What an interesting post - I can tell I'm going to enjoy this new series of yours.