Tuesday 13 October 2009

Needlework Tuesday

I am back after a busy Thanksgiving long weekend. Several festive meals were enjoyed with friends and family. Now time to eat left overs, read good books and work on some of my ongoing projects as well as add another one.

I did get one block sewn on my Dear Jane before the migraine struck and then when it cleared I had to get the dining room table cleared off (I generally sew in the Dining room since my sewing studio is too full of unfinished projects).

F-3 Snowball was a fun block to piece. I fussy cut the centre patch to feature the lovely autumn leaf in metallic gold. I didn't paper piece as the Dear Jane website suggested. View Tropical Screamer's Version.


Very little reading got done last week as I was determined to finish this scarf for my son. He is away at school and won't be home for his birthday. As you can see I did get it finished and it is wrapped in a fabric bag and I sent it home with my sister to give to him on his birthday on the 22nd. He knows I made it for him and has even seen the pattern, and some of the un-assembled bits, but hasn't seen the finished product. I am thrilled with how well it turned out. The black mesh part measures 67 inches and the I-tubes are 80 inches. It actually was fairly easy to thread them in. I would recommend not weaving in the ends of the yarn until after you put the strips through the mesh. They did tend to pull back out a little bit. My daughter wants a similar scarf with a black mesh, but with each strip being a different bright colour. Myself, I am planning a brown mesh and then 5 different orange strips.

I first wrote about this pattern a month ago. It's by Iwona at the Knit Cafe.


Bernat has announced that they will be hosting a 'Knit Along' on their new blog. I thought this sounded fun. Son helped me chose colours of their 'Satin' yarn. Forest Mist Heather, Bordeaux, and Camel.

The first step will be on the blog on October 23. You can find the pattern at Bernat Blog Mystery Afghan Knit Along. Stay tuned for my progress on this new project. Let me know if you decide to knit along with this project as well. My sister is thinking about it, though she is going to chose materials from her 'stash'.

If you will all excuse me now, I really do want to get back to my reading. I have a copy of 'Gwenhwyfar: The White Spirit' by Mercedes Lackey that was sent to my by Penguin to review. When my kids were little I read every Arthurian legend book that I could get my hands on. This one is a new look at Gwen and she is a wonderful character. Hope to have my review in the next few days.

Bye for now.

4 comments:

Anya said...

I love the fussy cutting!

(M)ary said...

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!!

Do you have turkey, cranberry and stuffing on Canadian T-Day?

Heather said...

Hi Mary,
I have to admit that we did it a bit different this year. On the sunday we went to friends and had the whole deal with the huge turkey, stuffing, mash potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes etc. On monday my family came over and we didn't go near the turkey as they also had it at their other familys. We had pad thai, a chicken and rice with pineapple dish. It was a wonderful meal.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

A migraine - painful.
As always loving your craft post, that scarf is wonderful - it's so colourful and looks so snuggley.