Tuesday 6 October 2009

Needlework Tuesday

It was fun digging through my orange fabrics this week. Some hadn't seen the light of day in a few years. Time they were put to good use.

Block M-5 Mother's Point was a nice 4 patch style block.


Block D-13 Field of Dreams was made with fabric that was given to me. I can't recall when it arrived by I know that I liked it instantly. I'm assuming the title of this block refers to a baseball diamond. View Tropical Screamer's Version.

Block L-1 Widow's Pane is assembled log cabin style to get the white inner border. It is also a variation of a 4 patch.



Block M-12 Hopscotch was straight forward to sew. Long strips are sewn together, pressed and then sub-cut to make the striped units. Then it's put together as a 9 patch. Too bad I don't really like doing strip piecing. I find that sewing those long pieces together results in long wavy seams and you then lose accuracy.

Block I-3 Family Album looks like an old fashion window frame with the white sashing. Nice version of a 9 patch. Could easily fussy cut images for each 'window pane'.





Block J-6 Granny Weaver. Wonder why this name was chosen? The orange yarn fabric was one that I purchased for use in an ABC swap. It was used for y-yarn.




Block J-7 Chicken Tracks was a bit fussy to do, all those tiny 9 patches. It does look very nice with the strong contrast between the orange and white.
This was a very productive week. Doubt that I'll be able to top this one, 7 blocks. I have completed most of the straight forward blocks and from now on I expect that they will get to be a bit more time consuming. Come back next week and see how I do on F-3 Snowball.....
.

4 comments:

Anya said...

My goodness, you are on a roll. Very nice job! I agree about strip piecing of very narrow strips -- it's hard to get them straight.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Yet more wonderful work. How I would love to be able to create something like this, you are so talented Heather. My mam was a great knitter whilst my nana was into crochet and embroidary - if only some of this had rubbed off onto me. I was never interested as a child, too busy with my nose stuck in a book I expect.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

What wonderful patterns. You have real talent!

Heather said...

i can't take any credit for the block designs. They are all from the book "Dear Jane" by Brenda Manges Papadakis