Monday 3 September 2007

I dream of Running

I started running almost 3 years ago. Didn't know if I could do it after being a couch slug for so many years. But health required that I do something. My blood pressure had been creeping upward and it had finally hit a serious point.

It amazing what our bodies can do if given the chance. Yes, I have lost weight, but I have also gained muscle. Didn't know that I could have shapely calves. Thought they would always be large and chunky. I won't say they are slim, but they are definitely more linear and with some definite curves of the kind I want to have.

i have taken a few classes at the Running Room and have amazed myself each time. Specially the day the instructor sneaked in a 13k run, when she told us it would be 11k. It was a blast.

I suspect that my family think I am exaggerating when I tell them I get a kick out of it. But its true. Don't think that I get that 'runner high' that I've heard rumour of, but then again...

This summer I volunteered for a terrific set of challenging races. Its called the Endurrun. 160 km over 7 races/8 days. Wow. Truly inspirational athletes, and these are not professionals. Check out the link and see what I mean. Now to get over my ailment (cold/virus) and back to those new Hurricane 9s that are waiting for me.

http://www.runwaterloo.com/

No comments: