Thursday 20 September 2007

Book Banning Should be Banned

Yesterday my daughter brought home the books that we had ordered from Scholastic the previous week.

She brought a nice hardcover chapter book called, 'The Highter Power of Lucky" by Susan Patron. I heard about it on the Bookcrossing website. Seems, that some parents, teachers and librarians are upset that the word scrotum occurs on the first page of the book.

If you want to read an article in the New York Times, please check the following link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/18/books/18newb.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1190305811-nFI3MlYlGCenQeLPApAmEw

Whats the issue? Half the population of the world has a scrotum.

After reading about this book I decided that I would have to purchase it when the opportunity arose. When daughter brought home her book order form 2 weeks ago, there it was. Now its in my possession and I can't wait to read it and then share with all sorts of friends who specifically search out and read 'banned books'.

1 comment:

lisa. said...

That post really made me laugh. About your comment on being a mum: ok, I did exaggerate a little on what I wrote, but as I read over it now, I still stand by what I said. You cannot be as embarassing as my mum. Although I genuinely look up to each and every mother out there, purely for being who they are. They have done an amazing thing in having a child. I hope to have children when I am older, and I just hope I won't have any regrets. Your children? They feel the same way I do in that I love my mother. I would not be who I am today if I did not have her by my side. Oh, and I would also like to return the lovely hugs you sent! xox