Friday 7 September 2007

A Sense of Humour

My sister recommended a book to me, 'Sammy's Hill' by Kristin Gore, saying that it was really funny. So, I finally requested it from the library and waited with anticipation for it to arrive. I am reading it, on page 159 of 387, but I don't really find it funny. There are tiny little bits where I chuckle, but can't say I've had a laugh out loud, or roll on the floor moment.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Sammys-Hill-A-Novel-Kristin-Gore/9781401360290-item.html?ref=Search+Books%3a+

I do admit that this isn't the first time that I haven't found a supposedly funny book not funny. I read one by Sophie Kinsella and again, didn't find it funny or even witty. Now, don't get me wrong, I do find some books funny, in fact so funny that I would fall down laughing if I weren't already sitting and reading.

Perhaps I am taking these books too seriously? Reading at this point is for my leisure, I really shouldn't take it so seriously. Its time to have fun. Its not as though I finish reading and then set down and write an in-depth book review and submit it for marking/grading.

Hopefully my next choice of books will be a little lighter, I've picked it from the blog written by one of my Bookcrossing friends:
http://antheras.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

pussreboots said...

You and I agree on Sammy's Hill. Like you I often don't see the humour that others are seeing in popular books. The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde, in my experience hasn't seemed as funny to me as it has to all my friends. Oh well. Happy BookCrossing. :D

lisa. said...

Hi there, I just wanted to say thank you so much for your comment. I honestly did not expect anyone to be reading my blog. You have made my day. Thank you! You really made me think. And that's a good thing!

No, I haven't found anyone yet, but you gave me hope!