Wednesday 5 September 2007

Mrs. Taft's Choice


Today is a sewing day. I am a moderator on a Canadian quilting list and I host the monthly block of the month program. This month the block is called 'Mrs. Taft's Choice'. its from a website called Quilters Cache. I thought that the name sounded familiar (in an historical manner), so I checked it out. Seems the block was designed to honour Mrs. Helen Taft, the wife of the 27th President of the United States.
It was a pleasure to sew this block and even better to find out the historical significance.
I feel good knowing that many of these 'old' quilt blocks are being preserved and that they are being introduced to newer quilters. It keeps our history alive. I would like to find some blocks that have been designed by Canadians.
There are some of current vintage that represent the RCMP, but I am unaware of any with an historical perspective. They must be around, but where???

No comments: