Sunday 10 August 2008

Endurrun 2008, a Volunteer's Perspective, Stage 1, 1/2 Marathon


I am taking a break from my usual this week and am volunteering at the Endurrun 2008.

8 Days, 7 races, 160 km. What an opportunity for meeting some terrific runners and their families/friends/supporters. I enjoyed it so much the first time, that I am back for my third year. My kids have been with me each time, and my hubby has been a road Marshall during the Marathon (an during today's 1/2 Marathon).

That's my daughter in the first picture. We hosted the first water station today at the 3k marker. She is waiting for our first runners to come in site.

What and awesome group of runners. Even though they are concentrating on their running, they still and polite and friendly. You have to love them. I admit, I will become very possessive of them as the week goes along, and I'll start referring to them as 'my runners'.


The second pictures shows the first runners approaching. An exciting moment. We are never sure when they will arrive, but as you can see, we get a few minutes notice as they top the hill from the river. I suspect that they are as happy to see us as we are to see them. This route is special as it passes through Conestogo which is where we live.

Each year I chose a book to read during our waiting times. This year I have selected "Daylight Runner" by Oisin McGann. I'll post my thought once I have read further.


If you would like to find out more about this event, check out the race website. You can view the list of participants, watch the videos and more. http://www.endurrun.com/

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

Thank you for the comment at my blog. I have been reading yours. We seem to have some things in common. I will be adding your blog to my blog list. If that's all right with you. I am currently reading "Black Out" by Lisa Unger.
Sherrie