Sunday 24 August 2008

A book unread

Do you ever come across a book that you are unable to read?

I started a new book on Wednesday and after a bit it didn't seem right to me. I figured that I hadn't read enough so I kept going. After another chapter or so it still didn't sit well with me. It was as though I was paddling upstream and the current wasn't going to relent.

I put the book aside. I had found it at a meeting of local Bookcrossers. I had heard good things about it, so wanted to read it. I'll be taking it back to our next meeting and am sure that it will find a more receptive reader.

This doesn't happen all that often, I enjoy lots of genres of writing and many authors. There have been a few that just don't work for me. With one author, it's too much realism, and another its something about his writing style. I am sure they are both very good writers, but they just don't work for me. So, I pass their books along and find something else to read.

Thankfully there are thousands of authors available and even more books.

I am always appreciative of the authors who have visited my blog and left comments. I love to read their blogs and see what they are up to. In the next few days I plan to update my blog to add a list of authors and links to their blogs/web pages.

4 comments:

Jon McGoran (a.k.a. D. H. Dublin) said...

I know exactly what you mean. Unfortunately for me, sometimes it has nothing to do with the book, either. If I start reading a book and life intervenes, I rarely get back to it and get into it. It's a shame, too, because I'm sure I've missed out on some good books because of it.

Sherrie said...

I have that problem sometimes. Usually if a book doesn't grab my attention by the 4th or 5th chapter I give up on it. Which I hate to do, but sometimes you just can't read some books.

Unknown said...

Hi Heather, I’ve always tried to give a book a second chance–just like a blind date.

I kept Tomson Highway beside my bed for two years. I had met Tomson in Halifax, and then heard him speak at a gala and was equally wowed. I have since enjoyed all of his plays that passed through my town, particularly Dry Lips Oughta Move to Kapuskasing.

He is an amazingly creative author and playwright and someone whom I admire greatly for the way he grabs a difficult subject by the throat and chokes out something beautiful.

But I couldn’t continue reading his work Kiss of the Fur Queen. The plot of the boys being abused was too much for me, despite the beautiful way he offered up the Fur Queen. I just couldn’t handle it despite the beauty in the prose.

Now, on the fun side, Tomson mentioned he was toying with the idea of doing a piece on the Last Supper where the women didn’t simply cook the Last Supper but ate at the table. Now that I will enjoy!

A CBC interview with Highway is here:

http://www.cbc.ca/lifeandtimes/highway.html

More applauds and accolades are here:

http://www.naaf.ca/html/t_highway_e.html

Kathleen Molloy, author – Dining with Death

www.diningwithdeath.ca

Heather said...

Hi Kathleen,
Thanks for your comment. I have just looked up Tomson Highway at my local library and requested the 4 books of his that they have in the system. Will let you know how I do with them.