Sunday 15 February 2009

The Christmas Quilt & The New Year's Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini


This is a two book in a one that came out in November 2008. A friend lent it to me as she knows I always have a couple of books on the go and am a quilter as well.
I have read a few earlier books by Jennifer and enjoyed them. Both of these books have new story lines, though they do recap and expand upon some events in previous books. That's OK for a reader who is new to the series. However, by the time I can up to a plot point for the third time, I was tired of it and felt that I already knew enough details. Give me something new to sink my teeth into.
Still, I did enjoy both books. As the titles tell you, one if set just before Christmas and the other is set a few years later just before New Years. You can read these books without having read the previous ones. My favourite in the series so far has been the very first one, "The Quilter's Apprentice". I have a few more of them sitting in 'Mount To Be Read', so you'll hear more about them if you keep coming back here to visit.
There is a lovely pic of the "Christmas Quilt" on Jennifer's website. It was even nicer than I imagined. I couldn't find a pic of the "New Year's Quilt".

2 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Heather,
I have read all of the Chiaverini Elmcreek novels. Like you, I enjoy the first few the best.

Once she got a contract to pump out books, they became less and less interesting. It's like she is just trying to fill the pages to get the next one finished.

Nonetheless, I still read each new one.

One of the best was the Runaway Quilt about a young fugitive slave girl who ran the underground railroad to escape. Have you got that one on your list?
Happy reading and quilting,
Zoey

Heather said...

I have to read "The Cross Country Quilt" first but I do have "The Runaway Quilt" near my bedside.