Monday 23 February 2009

Freedom to Read Week

It was recently brought to my attention that it's Freedom to Read Week at your local Canadian library. Thank goodness! I don't need someone else telling me whether a book is suitable for reading. I am highly educated and am able to make that decision myself.

Quite a while back I did a review on "The Higher Power of Lucky". Loved that book. If some people had their way no one would be able to give that book to a young person to read.

Have you ever bought/read a book just because someone else sought to ban it? I would like to have the title and author and perhaps it will interest me.

List of Challenged Books and Magazines

4 comments:

Anya said...

Good for you! I don't want someone telling me I can't read a certain book, either. In answer to your question, I can't recall specifically reading a book because I was told I couldn't. I do remember hearing about the "problem" with "The Higher Power of Lucky", but never had a chance to read it. I'll have to check and see if my library has a copy.
I find it amazing that the same people who have a problem with that book (and other books) probably have no trouble allowing their young children to watch "extreme wrestling" events where the competitors are encouraged to beat the heck out of each other!
Now that I think about it, Mark Lipinski recently had some trouble with Joann Fabrics banning an issue of his Quilter's Home magazine because it contained photos of "controversial" quilts. The magazine was wrapped in a plastic wrapper and they still wouldn't sell it!

Heather said...

I went over to Mark's blog and found the mentioned information. I will be going out today to try and find a copy of this magazine.

http://marklipinskisblog.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/1891/#comments
Its the January 30th blog entry regarding the March issue of his mag.

Heather said...

I finally found a copy of this mag this morning. I read the article and found it to be really well researched and written. Mark has provided a balanced article and even he admitted that some of the quilts he came across were not suitable for showing in his article. He did include links to many more quilts than he had space to present. Thanks Mark.

Heather said...

I finally found a copy of this mag this morning. I read the article and found it to be really well researched and written. Mark has provided a balanced article and even he admitted that some of the quilts he came across were not suitable for showing in his article. He did include links to many more quilts than he had space to present. Thanks Mark.