Monday 2 November 2009

NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month

Have you ever wanted to write a novel? Do you keep putting it off saying you'll do it when you have more time/when the kids grow up/when you retire? Well it's time to stop procrastinating and put the pen to paper or your fingertips to the key board and get started.

It's National Novel Writing Month and all are welcome to pen that epic that they've had in mind. Actually, its international in scope even though the official name says National.

I concept is to write every day during November with the goal of finishing the month with a novel of at least 50 000 words. It is a do able goal just don't worry about editing and all that other stuff that your english teacher would have hounded you about. Leave that for later. For now just get the words on the page.

I never really had this burning ambition to write a novel. Its my daughter. She is writing all the time. I found out that there is a junior version to this program and she signed up. She was allowed to set her own goal of 13 000 words. I joined up so I could encourage her along the way. She'll see me writing so she should want to write (at least that's the plan).

We both wrote yesterday and looks like we are on track.

My Story line:
There are 5 quilters and they buy fabric, drink Tim Horton's coffee and they are yet to come across a mystery that they have to solve by investigating some quilts. and then... Oops, I haven't got any further than that thought.

Have I got you interested? Want to join the fun?

I need a better name for my quilter from Russia. Any suggestions please leave a comment.

NaNoWriMo website
NaNoWriMo Young Writers Program website

3 comments:

Hunter said...

Love that you're joining in and that you're participating with your daughter. What a fun way to encourage her writing.

And I love the butterfly quilt. I love everything about it including the shape and the color.

A Russian quilter's name. I bet if you hang out with her a little longer she'll tell you her name. Mine always do. LOL.

Happy writing.
Darilyn

Anya said...

Well, what better name than "Anya"?...

(M)ary said...

that is a great idea for a book...i have always wanted to write a book but never have the discipline to write all day...

hmmm..Russian name...well, i gather that in Russia whatever your name is, you always have a nickname that you go by.

I just looked up some names online and here the ones I like: Fedosia, Izolda, Zlata, Kseniya