Saturday 15 October 2011

Weekend Cooking - Fluffy Salad


I don't know how it started, but I have always referred to this dish as "Fluffy Salad".  It's not a salad in the traditional sense, and perhaps it really should be a dessert.  Which ever way you decide to classify it, I still will eat it when ever I get a chance.

Fluffy Salad

1 cup miniature marshmallows (I use the coloured ones as they look prettier)
1 cup sweetened coconut
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup mandarin orange pieces, drained
1 cup cottage cheese, the creamy type not the dry one
1 cup sour cream, or thawed cool whip

Mix all six ingredients together and chill for a while before serving.  Best if used that day or the next.  It's up to you whether you use 'lite' or low fat versions of the cottage cheese and the sour cream.  It will still taste good either way.  Some versions I have eaten use canned fruit cocktail (drained) in place of the orange pieces.

I am curious whether you have a fun dish that you include in your family celebration dinners?

For more food related fun, be sure to visit Beth Fish Reads for Weekend Cooking.  

3 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Yum and such a nice change from my usual green salad.

joanna said...

I've never had the guts to try one of these salads, the ones with marshmallows etc in them. :-) My American friends say they're great, but they seem strange to me!

Martha @ Hey, I want to read that said...

This was a staple at picnics growing up and I hadn't thought of it in ages. I'm going to have to remember this next family get together.