Saturday 22 October 2011

Weekend Cooking - Melon and Bean Salad

I have been staying with my parents three or four days a week lately as my father is rather ill.  I try and make them a few tasty dishes each visit.  While there last week, my mother requested the recipe for a salad I had make for Thanksgiving a few weeks earlier. Canadian Thanksgiving is celebrated in October.

This one is totally yummy and could be served as the main dish of a lunch with the addition of some whole grain toast.

It is from the 1986 edition of Smart Cooking: Quick and Tasty Recipes for Healthy Living by Anne Lindsay.  There is a newer edition of this book that should be widely available.

Melon and Bean Salad

1 cantaloupe or honeydew melon
1 can (19 oz/540 ml) red or white kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
2 green onions (including tops)
1 small red pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Cut melon in half, scoop out seeds.  Remove rind and cut melon into pieces.  You should have at least 2 cups of melon.  Add kidney beans. Cut onions and red pepper into thin strips about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long.  Add Onion, peppers, garlic and parsley to melon-kidney bean mixture; toss to mix.

Whisk together lemon juice and oil; pour over salad.  Add salt and pepper to taste; toss to mix.  Cover and refrigerate until serving time.  may be refrigerated for up to 3 days.

I used a small red onion instead of the green onion. I didn't add the parsley as my kids don't like that green stuff in their food.

For more foodie fun, be sure to visit Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking feature.

14 comments:

caite said...

I can not say I would ever think of melon and beans together. But it looks lovely!

Nan said...

Sorry about your father. I hope he is better soon.
I know people do it all the time, but somehow I can't imagine onions and fruit together. :<)

Beth F said...

This sounds like such a simple yet tasty salad, no wonder your mom asked for the recipe. The contrast of sweet and acid sounds perfect. And to top it off, it looks pretty and would hold up well at a picnic or on a holiday buffet.

Vicki said...

I can't remember ever having a recipe with melon and beans, but it looks good so will give it a try!
Here's My WC

TheBookGirl said...

Sorry to hear that your dad is ill.

This salad is so pretty and colorful :)

Diana LaMarre said...

Now that sounds like an interesting salad. Who would think to combine kidney beans and canteloupe! I bet it's pretty tasty.

Uniflame said...

Wow! That is original! I wouldn't have thought of the combination at all!

Marie said...

What an interesting combination! I like everything that goes in it, so it should be good. Look yummy.

Barb said...

This does look tasty...thanks...hope your father gets well soon.

JoAnn said...

Melon and beans are two ingredients I would never think to combine, but the salad does look delicious. Sorry to hear your father isn't well.

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

Never would have thought of beans with melon, but it looks good. A nice combination of sweet and savory. Hope your dad is feeling better.

Anonymous said...

We had a food safety issue with cantaloupes in the USA a few weeks ago, and I stopped buying them. This recipe looks tempting, though. I wonder if it is OK to eat canteloupe here again.

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

I'm pretty sure I commented on this, but it didn't show up?

Never would think to put beans and onions in with melon, but it looks very good, I'd definitely give it a try. Hope your Dad is doing better.

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
This sounds so yummy! I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing. Off subject, my Needlework Tuesday is posted. I'm working on a new project. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books