Thursday 6 October 2011

Recipe Thursday: French Toast Muffins

I was ready to try something totally different.  In the Fall 2011 issue of Inspired: For the Love of Good Food, I came across a recipe for French Toast Muffins.  Inspired is the food magazine of Sobeys grocery stores.  These were easy to make and the flavour will change depending on the bread you select.

I decreased the amount of vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon and added 2 extra teaspoons of milk to compensate.  I went to the extra expense of real maple syrup as it's a flavour that you can't get anywhere else.  I used frozen blueberries since that's what I had on hand.

French Toast Muffins

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp  vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
10 slices whole grain bread, cubed
1 cup frozen mixed berries
2 tbsp pure maple syrup

1. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until well combined.  Add cubed bread and toss gently until the egg mixture is absorbed.  Add berries and toss gently to combine.

2. Divide muffin mixture evenly into a greased muffin tin and drizzle with maple syrup.  Bake in the centre of a preheated 375 F over for 25 minutes.

You can eat these immediately or leave them to cool, wrap individually and store in the freezer.  To reheat, remove wrap and place in microwave on defrost for 1 minute.  If desired, drizzle with a bit more syrup before serving.  For a printable version of this recipe visit Inspire.ca.


For more recipes and food fun, come back on Saturday and click the link to Weekend Cooking which is hosted by Beth Fish Reads.

13 comments:

Threeundertwo said...

Holy cow. I'm all over this! Thanks for the recipe.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

These would be perfect for a brunch (with company or not). Yum!

Beth F said...

Magic words for me: "maple syrup"! I keep a small jug of Grade B pure maple syrup in my refrigerator at all times. I think I'll keep these in mind for a holiday time breakfast.

Nan said...

Oh yay! This is my kinda recipe! I adore French toast, and will try these! Thanks so much.

Belle Wong said...

I don't normally go for muffins, but I LOVE French toast and maple syrup! This sounds delicious.

Beth S. said...

I love finding different ways to use my muffin tin other than making muffins. My current favorite is making meat MUFFINS instead of meat LOAF. LOL! Hey, it takes less time to cook through that's for sure!

French toast muffins sounds like another great creative use of the muffin tin. :)

Rikki said...

Yes! I love French toast and I love muffins, this is the perfect combo. Thanks for sharing!

caite said...

my niece gave me a recipe very similar to this recently...requested it for Christmas. I will have to compare the two, since I have no idea where she got it.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Another recipe for me to take to the cabin next weekend... I will be such a hit! And Beth gave me an idea to use this for a holiday breakfast too.

Grace. B said...

Hummmm ! yummi ! I will ask my sister to do some for me next time I'll go in Paris. She's a "cordon bleu" !

Thanks for visiting me back on the last FPP Heather !

wish you a lovely end of weekend

Grace

Uniflame said...

What an original muffin recipe! I love muffin recipes that are just a bit different :)

Here is my weekend cooking :)
http://shelikesbento.blogspot.com/2011/10/weekend-cooking-quick-fix-vegan-by.html

Joy Weese Moll said...

Fun! I make a bread pudding much like this, but putting it in a muffin pan would be very cute.

Miri said...

These look terrific...sort of like individual bread puddings.