Tuesday 23 July 2013

Needlework Tuesday - Accuracy Counts

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.
 
My regular readers should be familiar with the Aiming for Accuracy Quilt Along that I have been working on.  Block 4 is now complete.  It was another big one, finishing at 20 inches before the sashing strips.  I am trying to pay very close attention to my seam allowances and am coming quite close to the actual size, though still a wee bit small.  I'm sticking with my orange theme, though this week closer to a true orange, where as last week it was red-oranges.

 
I cut most of the fabrics as directed, except for that striped one on top.  That one I cut on the bias so that I could control the direction of the strip.  at first I thought that I would have it run parallel to the centre seam of the block, but a mistake in pinning and sewing had me re-evaluate.  I think that this direction might be more effective.  Those lines do stand out, but they don't detract from the action in the middle of the block, which is where the focus should be.

 
And that's it for stitching this week.  I did get to quilt class on Saturday morning, but haven't started my home work. (my kids love it when I tell them I have homework).
 
Last week was a travel week, small day trips, but they do cut into what gets done at home.  best part of the week was visiting with my grandmother.  She going to be 97 in September and I don't get enough chances to see her.  I had another errand that day which took me to her town, so I dropped in as  a surprise. 
 
It was music day.   A local entertainer comes once a month and does a sort of karaoke with the residents in her retirement home.  The music ranged from the 1920's till early 80's.  Some of the residents of the nursing home came as well.  What a pleasure to see every one enjoying themselves so much.  I'm told that musical memory is special, even when your other memories fade, music can pull back long lost feelings and such.  it was truly evident that day. 
 
You might wonder why I am telling you about my grandmother in a Needlework post,  well, my grandmother was my first and only quilting influence.  From the earlier times, there was always applique sitting on the table beside her comfy chair.  She quilted with the ladies at our church for decades and most of the family have quilts from her.  She finally learned to hand quilt when she was in her 80's.  Before that , she used to make tea for everyone while they were stitching.  Just goes to show, that you are never too old to learn.  She doesn't quilt any longer, but she does enjoy when mom and I bring our latest projects with us for a mini show and tell.  I'll be seeing her in September and am planning to take some photos of my current projects.
 
Who is/was your needlework influence?
 
Marie, at Daisy's Book Journal is stitching away as various projects.  If you 're wondering  about the style of scarf to knit this summer, check her new project.  Also some unique weaving and several Zentangle inspired drawings.

3 comments:

Darlene said...

Hi Heather, my goodness I haven't been by your blog in ages. I got sidetracked in my commenting in blogs and I'm trying to get back to the blogs I once loved so much.

I love your quilting! The colours are right up my alley. I bet it's going to be gorgeous. The story behind your love of quilting is sweet. It's nice to have a memory like that.

I actually taught myself how to knit and crochet. My mom was never into crafts and it was something that interested me and still does.

I do want to get into quilting and I see you mentioned hand quilting. Do you do all yours by hand? I'd love to do hand quilting, not machine. I just have no idea how to get myself started.

Hope you have a great week!

Marie said...

Great post, Heather. Love those oranges!

What a terrific story about your grandmother and quilting.

Like Darlene, I'm self-taught knitter. My mother knew some knitting basics, but didn't do it much at all. I think she tried to teach me when I was quite young, but it wasn't until I was a teenager that I was really interested in learning.

As for my other crafts/needlework, I'm inspired by the things I see everyday as well as the blogs I visit. Like yours. ;)

Tami said...

Beautiful block, as usual. Accuracy counts is a good lesson - one I'm still working on learning.

Hopefully, once school starts life will it a routine again and I can get back to some stitching.