Tuesday 13 August 2013

Needlework Tuesday: Block after block after block


Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.


I wasn't sure I was going to get a post written today.  It was a busy day at the race and much time was spent preparing food.  Once again, I made this tasty vegan cake, Tropical Coffee Cake.  It wasn't supposed to be vegan, but I accidentally hard boiled all my eggs for devilled eggs, so substituted an extra banana for the two eggs.  I used the left over orange juice with icing sugar for the glaze.  The recipe can be found in my Endurrun post from 2010.
Last week was a banner one for working on quilt blocks.  I can't believe I got so much accomplished.  Part of it was that I finally signed up for the 350 Block Challenge being hosted by Prairie Moon Quilts.  The goal is to sew blocks that will help you finish some of your UFO's.  I certainly have a few of them.  Since I am starting late, most of the participants started back in January.  I guessed that I easily sewed 51 blocks in the recent months, so set that as my starting number.  So far this month I have finished 23, with a goal of at least 31.  The block at left is for my $15. quilt class at my local shop.  It is a pattern by Sharyn Craig.  This block is called "Crown Molding".  I changed the plain centre block to a snow ball block, it definitely adds more interest.

This month we did two blocks since they are so similar.  This one is called "Chair Rail".  This time I wanted to maximise the use of that lovely orange fabric. Both these blocks are 9 inches.  I also finished a bunch of small blocks to fit into this quilt. 


This block is "Movie Star" and was designed by Judy Martin.  They measure 4 1/2 inches. 

"Spring Picnic" also designed by Judy Martin

"Branson Beauty" again by Judy Martin, 
These two blocks are made with the darker background fabric.
 
Have you been following along and sewing with The Quilting Gallery in their Aiming for Accuracy Quilt Along?  I have now completed week 6.  Finally a block that is the correct size.
A couple of years ago I started sewing these mini churn dash blocks.  They measure 5 inches and I think I have about 38 sewn.  I need 130 ish of them.  They are for a wedding quilt for my niece, fortunately she is not planning to marry in the next while.   I have several more of them sitting on my cutting board ready for sewing. I'll need to cut a lot more fabric. I don't want to repeat a fabric, so I need to be careful when cutting.  The fabric in the bottom left is from a dress my sister made for herself.  Fortunately it only takes a six inch square to cut the dark pieces from.  the light takes a wee bit more, one extra 1 1/2 inch square.    I'm planning narrow sashing with 1 1/2 inch square corner stones in the dark colours.
Not sure that I'll accomplish much this week as I'll be volunteering all week, but a few minutes here and there do add up.  I might surprise myself.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Wow, you got a lot done. I think my machine is collecting dust, while I sit in the backyard and knit!

Hey, I want to read that! said...

Wow, you're work is amazing. I've quilted a little and I know I lack the discipline to finish a project. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Oh, and also I totally would have thrown the cake mix away is I didn't have eggs and never thought about making it vegan. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Debbie Rodgers said...

I love what you've done with the Chair Rail pattern!

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

I love those squares at the bottom -- really cute!

Tami said...

I love the colors in your chair rail block - would match my daughter's apartment perfectly.

The blocks are all beautiful, a usual.