Tuesday 6 August 2013

Needlework Tuesday - Crochet at the Cottage

This past weekend was spent with family and friends at a cottage in the Kawartha Lakes Region of Ontario.  Needless to say, my focus was not on needlework.   I did take my crochet along and completed about half of a strip for my sister's afghan. I only had one mistake to correct, not bad at all.

I did answer some questions about crochet from other vacationers.  They were curious , not about why I was crocheting at a cottage, but rather about the process involved and how I remembered  the pattern, which looked complex to them.  I could only explain that it makes sense to me.  I can visualise the pattern in my mind and then make it happen.  I suppose, that is why I can look at another person's knitting and then figure out what they did wrong and then correct it for them without having to rip it all back.  I don't think I turned anyone to the 'needlework side' but perhaps, cleared up a misconception or two and increased their appreciation of "those blankets that grandma makes".

 
Tami at Just One my Thing, is helping a co-worker with a most ambitious project.  Now that she's started drawing Zentangles, She appears totally hooked.

2 comments:

Marie said...

It takes me a bit, but I can knit something without having to constantly refer to the pattern...mostly anyway. I even surprised myself a few times with what I originally thought were really complicated patterns. It's not a memorization thing. It's more like really understanding the stitches, the process and how it all fits together. For some of us (me!), it takes years to get the hang of it.

You'll probably never know if you turned them to the "needlework side" (great expression, by the way), but that doesn't mean it won't happen sometime in the future for them. One morning they might wake up and remember you and get inspired to try.

You can correct knitting mistakes without having to rip it back? Geez! I wish you lived near me. I don't rip that often anyway, but that would be a nice skill to have.

Nice photos! Have a great week.
No post again for me this week. But I can report that I'm totally addicted to zentangles and have been doing lots of those. ;)

Tami said...

It would be hard to concentrate on needlework of any kind with that view. I'm still determined to learn to crochet - it as on my list to do this summer, but I'm running out of time.

Suggestions for a web-site or book to start?