Saturday 12 April 2014

Imitating My Egg Lady

I love to visit with my friend Janet at Stone Meadow Farm in Maryhill, Ontario.  It's a short distance from my house, but with life being what it is, I don't get there often enough.  Last week I was able to get out for tea with her and her sister Karen.  A visit to the farm wouldn't be complete without and interrogation from the pygmy fainting  goats.  this one might be Zoe.  There are two of them, and they aren't much more than knee high, but they do have sizable horns which they aren't shy about using.   If you want to learn more about the farm, visit the blog, Seasonal Ontario Food and check out their article.  Janet does have a facebook page of the farm.
My all time favourite activity at the farm is to collect eggs.  Farm fresh, warm from under the birds, colourful, eggs.  This is the late afternoon haul.   The variety of colour and sizes are wonderful.  The Easter Bunny couldn't leave a better assortment.  These aren't the ones I brought home, I selected a few more of the blue/green eggs.  It makes me smile when I reach into my fridge and pull out speckled or beautiful green eggs (no green ham mind you).

A walk down to the low level bridge on Thursday showed the rive in flood stage.  It appears to be running over a foot higher than usual, and with the warm weather we are having, it's going to get worse before it gets better.  Hopefully it won't flood the road at the far side of the bridge, but it was getting awfully close.  We live at the high point in town, and it would take a flood of biblical proportions to reach us.    I do extend best wishes and blessing of safety to those further down river.

Thanks for joining me for Weekend Cooking, for more foodie fun, be sure to visit Beth Fish Reads, there you are invited to add a link to your recent food related post.

10 comments:

Marie said...

OMG!!! She's so cute. If I lived on a farm, I'd definitely have a goat or ten. ;)

Those eggs are awesome. So many different colours and sizes. I only tend to see the uniform ones from the grocery store. Lucky you to get to "harvest" your own. ;)

Floods are awful. I hope the river stays within it's banks.

Have a great week.

Joy said...

Those are beautiful eggs! Love the goat photo, too.

Joy's Book Blog

Sarah (Sarah's Book Shelves) said...

How fun to open your fridge to speckled or green eggs! My son (he's 3) would love that!

Beth F said...

Those eggs are just so pretty. What a wonderful day. It's just great to get outside after this cold winter. Hope the flooding river didn't do damage.

Carole said...

Fabulous to have such fresh eggs. Cheers from CArole's Chatter

Roslyn said...

My friend's chooks in CO. are free range & they produce all those delightfully colored "Easter" eggs! So decorative & such fun to eat!

Mary Ann Tate said...

That was my job...egg collector. I used to work on a farm during my school holidays. The hens were free roaming during the day so it was a challenge to find where they were laying their eggs. Some of them were pretty sneaky :)

Laurie C said...

Lovely photos! I saw chickens roaming around on an unfenced-in front yard the other day on a fairly busy stretch of road, and was surprised that chickens were smart enough not to run into the road. But I guess they are!

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

I bet those fresh eggs taste great!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Ah there really isn't anything nicer than a freshly laid egg .... yum.