Thursday 22 October 2015

Slade House by David Mitchell

This is the best unsettling novel that I have read in several years.  The entire time, I had that queasy feeling, that I just couldn't get comfortable.  Then again, the guests/visitors to Slade House weren't quite comfortable either.  They might have been when they first squeezed through that small wrought iron gate, but eventually they realised that not all was as it should be within that house.

Slade House, and the narrow Slade Alley are enigmas to those who've heard about about and tried to visit  uninvited.  Even the police find no clues to those missing persons with links to the house. How can this be.  Things are not adding up.  What is a ritzy house belonging to Lady Grayer doing in a low rent neighborhood.

Author David Mitchell  has woven a tale that is captivating and chilling at the same time.  He has created several likable characters that I was starting to care for, and then, wham, their time in the story ends. I didn't even have time to mourn for them and he'd be on to the next plot line. This created a careful balance of anticipation, frustration and unease.  I'd put the book down to regain my equilibrium, and then almost instantly I'd pick it up again and continue reading.  I had to know what would happen next.

A very enjoyable though creepy read.

Thanks to author David Mitchell and NetGalley for my review copy and for use of the cover image.


No comments: