Friday 6 May 2016

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick

This book made me mad, it made me cry, it made me want to hug my children and their friends.  This book made me want to say thank-you to those who see beyond the surface to the real person underneath.

Leonard is done, he wants the pain to end, he doesn't want to be here any more.  The emotional abuse he has suffered doesn't show on the outside, but he is hurting all the same.

This book looks at the damage we inflict on each other.  From bullies at school, to parents who are oblivious to the needs of their children.  Just because there aren't any cuts nor blood, it doesn't mean that there isn't hurt and Leonard is definitely hurting.

Forgive me, Leonard Peacock puts the reader inside the head of a boy who is depressed and doesn't know how to cope any longer.  Everything that he did came across as so very real. The bargaining with himself, doing things he thought would punish his mother, saying anything just to get by for another day, another hour, another minute.

The desperation, the cries for help were all there, would anyone notice.  At the same time, he puts up a solid front of being okay, of not showing weakness.  The book also looks at the support network for our children. Kids can reach out to parents, teachers, neighbours, even strangers on the street is they see the slightest glimmer of hope.

From the opening paragraphs I was hooked. I didn't want to put it down.  I listened to the audio book as read by Noah Galvin. unabridged - 6 hours 19 minutes.  It was an excellent choice as there were many times when the tears were flowing and I wouldn't have been able to continue as I couldn't wipe them away fast enough.

Forgive me, Leonard Peacock is a strong story and should be widely read in a group setting.  Parents reading it with their teens need to be open to discussing the situation and educating their family about depression and how to get help.

In Canada, call the Kids Help Line  toll free at 1-800-668-6868

Author Matthew Quick

Cover image courtesy Hachette Audio

No comments: