Wednesday 25 May 2016

Needlework Tuesday - Connecting with designers

Sorry I am a day late with this post; it was so gorgeous outside on Tuesday, that I couldn't drag myself indoors.

Are you ever compelled to contact a designer whose pattern you are working with.  I have done this several times and each time have received a lovely and helpful response.  Most recently I contacted Kimberly Einmo.  I am making a quilt using a pattern from her book  Jelly Roll Quilt Magic and my blocks are all too small.  I measured the pieces, I measured my seam allowances, but my blocks are too small.  I checked on her website and read comments about the quilt, nothing mentioned about size.

Finally, I checked on Kimberly's blog for posts regarding that design.  Again, nothing about the block size and no one commented about having any challenges with that particular quilt.  I decided to leave a comment on one of her posts and hope that she would respond.  I didn't want to start trimming my blocks and find out later that I had made a mistake.

Kimberly responded to me in a very short while and wrote a lengthy response.  She explained that when she designed the quilt it worked out perfectly to the size specified in the pattern as did the blocks of her testers.However, since then she has made many of these quilts and taught dozens and classes and realised that most quilters blocks turned out the same size as mine.  She has since edited her pattern to indicate the smaller size.

Oh glory be. I am so relieved to find that my blocks are the correct size.  I now feel so much better and am able to continue with trimming them.  Next week I'll have photos of a block before and after trimming and hopefully even one of the quilt top.

I am so glad that I wrote Kimberly as I would have forever after been concerned that I had done something wrong,  It would have continued to bug me.  Now I know that she is a lovely and considerate woman and I'll feel comfortable using her other patterns and recommending her to other quilters.  She is also a teacher on Craftsy, and if you follow the link from her website, she currently offers a 50% reduction on her class prices.


Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

Now I am curious whether you write letters/emails to designers either to ask a question or to compliment them on their work?

Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your current needlework post.

Cover image courtesy Kimberly Einmo. 


3 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
I've never even thought about contacting an author. But then again I usually don't use patterns from books. I usually make my own patterns as I do Applique work. Can't wait to see this quilt. Have a great day!

Marie said...

Like Sherrie, I haven't contacted an author or designer either. It sounds like a good idea, though, especially with a situation like you encountered. That's awesome that she responded quickly and was helpful.

I have had a few problems with knitting patterns I've found in books, but didn't think of contacting the author. I just came up with a solution myself. Come to think of it, I've also have trouble with a few cookbook recipes that didn't work out at all. Perhaps next time, I'll follow your lead.

That book cover is gorgeous. Can't wait to see what you're making.

Roslyn said...

Great idea, and what a nice result. I have often thought about contacting novel authors in their case I see so many mistakes, some repetitive, argh, very annoying! Where are the wordsmiths?