Tuesday 20 September 2016

Needlework Tuesday - A new Scarf

 I don't need a new scarf.  I absolutely, positively don't need a new scarf.  I started a new scarf this weekend.  It really is pretty, but I still don't need a new scarf.  Actually, it's not that bad.  I bought the yarn several years ago and then didn't get around to making it up.  Late last week, I was looking for a new knitting project that wouldn't take long and I found these balls. One is a rainbow long repeat and the other is a dark long repeat.  They are Bernat Mosaic which is no longer available.  The pattern is from the ball band is no longer on their website.

 It was the pattern that first attracted me. I like the idea of knitting with two different variegated yarns.  I am going to tease and only show bits for now.
However, it does have a major downfall, due to the stitches, it rolls like crazy. I'm guessing that bunched around the neck would be very thick and help keep out any wind, but I would have preferred it to me flatter. ah well, I'm not ripping it out and doing something different.  I have about 20 inches completed and the pattern suggests I'll have enough for 58 inches.  It does knit up rather quickly and is quite thick.

After saying I have enough scarves, I'm sure you'll   understand when I tell you that I bought yarn for two more scarves.  For gifts when done. Honest.  I like to knit scarves, I can use  one ball of special yarn and it doesn't cost a fortune which knitting a sweater would.  I end up giving away lots of scarves as I have so many I could probably go a month without a repeat.  oops, shouldn't admit that in public. I do think it's time to wash some up and send them to the thrift store for others who need them more than I do

Do you have one item that you like to make more than any other?  socks, bags, scarves...  What do you do when you have too many. Do you give them as gifts, donate them, use them as a fund raiser for a charity.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

I hope that you are having fun and  making progress on whatever project is dear to your heart at this moment.  Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your needlework post.


3 comments:

Mary Ann Tate said...

Nice yarn. That scarf will go with lots of things. I myself have only one scarf which I never wear. It's somewhere in the house:)

Marie said...

I love those yarns!! Very pretty. The rolling would bug me, too.

I haven't knit that many winter scarves, but I do have quite a few of those "fashion" ones made with the wide, lacy yarn that was really popular a few years ago. I don't wear them that often, though. Perhaps I should look at giving a few away.

I actually don't like knitting scarves that much. With the exception of the temperature and sky scarves, the ones I've made seemed boring and took forever to finish.

Anyway, I'm still in shawl mode. I can't seem to get enough of them. I have quite a few lined up, just can't decide which ones to make first. So far, I've been keeping the ones I've made. As I'm typing this I realized that most of my shawls could double as scarves. LOL!!! So perhaps it's the scarf patterns I've been using that I don't like. Hmmmm....

Have a good week.

Roslyn said...

Definitely sounds like time for recycling. And great to begin on the Christmas gift list now! I love the rainbow thread too bad it is no longer available.