Monday 19 September 2016

Kids of Appetite by David Arnold

When I started reading this book, I thought it would be a good story, what I didn't expect was to be totally captivated by it, and to be reading it compulsively late into the night.

Vic. Mad, Coco, Baz and Nzuzi and unassuming kids who are trying to live under the radar and society mostly lets them.  Yes, people bully Vic due to his lack of facial expression, but he can't help it, he has Moebius Syndrome and some of his facial nerves are paralysed.  He just wants to get on with his life.  It's when life seems bleakest for him, that he meets the other four who will become far more than mere friends.

Each of the five has a story to tell, and they aren't always easy to hear, but they are their stories and they have learned to accept them and gather the strength to grow from their experiences.  What I liked most about this book, is that even though these kids have had some traumatic experiences, they all have an inner strength or power that they have held on to.  In turn, this has given them the capacity to reach out and help others in need.

The characters in this book are like kids I might be passing each and every day on the street without knowing.  Author David Arnold has brought them and their plights to life; he has made them real to me.  Some where around the middle of the book, they changed from being kids with problems to being kids with hearts and souls that couldn't be crushed.  I found myself cheering for them as I wiped away a stray tear here and there.

Suggested for readers 14+

#IndigoEmployee
Cover image courtesy Penguin Random House Canada

No comments: