Friday 2 September 2016

The Last One by Alexandra Oliva

I don't like, nor do I watch reality shows. They seem to emphasis the worst of people, however that being said, I couldn't put this book down.  Yes, it starts out with the twelve participants of a reality show, but quickly becomes much more.  While on a three day solo exercise, something happens in the world and the participants are left to fend for themselves until they are rescued.  Somehow, the producers lose track of Zoo, leaving her to wander the countryside in search of her next clue and challenge.

Zoo realizes that something isn't right, but strives to use what she knows about the show to fabricate a new story line as an explaination.  It is amazing the tricks one's mind can play when survival is at stake.

This story is well designed to keep the reader wanting just one more page, never knowing what the twelve participants would find around the next tree.  When I first met the twelve, I formed immediate opinions on each and what their chances would be for winning.  It was interesting to see how my predictions compared with what the author had penned for each.  I liked the character of Zoo and how she approached the entire reality show challenge.  She is a strong character, yet realistic in her failings. I did enjoy several of the other characters and am left wondering how they fared while the reader was following Zoo.  I am left hoping that the author is not finished with these twelve.

As  a debut novel, author Alexandra Oliva did an outstanding job.  I look forward to her future works.

Cover image courtesy Penguin Random House Canada.

2 comments:

Peaceful Reader said...

This sounds interesting. I'm adding it to my to-read list. I agree completely with your thoughts on reality television shows!

Michelle said...

I loved The Last One....except I hate it when I find something that good and it's the author's only book so there's nothing else to track own and read.