Tuesday 30 June 2009

Needlework Tuesday


I hate to admit it, but I didn't sew a thing in the past week. As we were entertaining on Friday, I had to clear off the dining room table where I had been sewing. I took the chance to put supplies and project pieces back where they belonged. Wow, that took ages. I had too many projects on the go and didn't seem to be getting anywhere on them. They are now all away with only the bird project back on the table.
Actually the birds are on the design wall and I have been reviewing the instructions for finishing it. Hard to decide what fabrics to use in the background. I need a light but not too light or it will look funny. As I mentioned previously, I don't like all the sections, too many checkerboards and whats with the chevron braid??? It came to me one evening that I could embroider footprints from birds on several of the sashing pieces along with the bird names. I will do some research as at present I couldn't identify a single print other than saying its from a bird.
I will keep on with the updates as I make the sashing units. Oh yeah, some of the birds are still missing feet and eyes, but I will get to those, eventually.
Thanks for sticking in with me while I have worked on this project. I have really enjoyed sharing it with you.
bye for now

5 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Love this quilt your working on! Maybe a green print for the sashing or a dark blue would work. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great evening!

Sherrie

P.S. Your book "Map Addict" by Mike Parker sounds like a really great one. I've never read any of his work. I'll have to see if my library has any of his books.

Heather said...

I was thinking I might find a fabric that looks like pine needles and pine cones. Very densely packed so there is not a lot of background showing.

Anya said...

I like the idea of fabric with pine needles. Very nice blocks, BTW.

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Heather,
The bird blocks look great. I am curious to see what background fabric you choose.

I thought your idea to embroider foot prints sounded like a good one.

Heather said...

HI Zoey, each block gets a different pattern of sashing. I will use fairly neutral for the background of each section and use as much of the left over fabrics as I can , that will tie them together.