Wednesday 13 January 2010

The Mask by Dean Koontz


This 1981 thriller still packs a punch.
Carol and Paul Tracy have been trying to adopt a child and are meeting with an adoption official when a freak wind storm hits the office building that they are in. Through out the storm, Carol gets the impression that someone or something is trying to stop them from adopting.
Shortly after that happens, Carol hits a teenage girl steps in front of her car. It turns out that this girl.... Oh I can't tell you any more. You will have to read to find out.
At first this book didn't grab me, but I kept reading as I know that Mr. Koontz tends to write very captivating stories and I figured this one wouldn't be any different. It wasn't long before I was eagerly turning pages and shushing my family when they wanted to interrupt me.
The story is only slightly dated, as in Paul Tracy using a type writer and making his coffee in a 'Mr. Coffee' coffee maker. I had one of those about 25 years ago.
All in all a good read and it didn't have me checking behind doors and hiding the knives in the kitchen, but then again, if there had been lightning and thunder...

2 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Sounds like it's an interesting read. Your last sentence has me totally intrigued.

mike said...

I just tore through Dean Koontz's Relentless, that quirky style of his always in play.

I've read most of his books with a preference for the ones from 1996 to present.

Although, The Bad Place had me on the edge of my seat.