Thursday 7 January 2010

Recipe Thursday - Lamingtons



My friend Barb frequently sends me recipes to try. I love them as she is an Aussie and its usually something totally new to me and my family. Recently she sent me a recipe for 'Lamingtons'.
.
They were amazing. A little square of cake dipped in a warm chocolate frosting and then rolled in coconut. very yummy. Hubby felt that he was in heaven. I made a few changes in the recipe to accommodate the ingredients we purchase here but you can click the link above and see the original. The piece shown is about 1 1/2 inches square.
.
Lamingtons
.
6 eggs
2/3 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup corn flour (fine corn meal)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup self raising flour ***
2 cups coconut
.
Icing

4 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp butter
2/3 cups milk
.
Method
Grease 9 inch square pan. Beat eggs in a medium bowl with mixer for about 10 minutes or until thick and creamy. Gradually beat in sugar, dissolving after each addition. Mix the 3 flours together and fold into the egg mixture. Do not beat, but gently fold into the eggs to preserve the air bubbles.
.
Spread mixture into the prepared pan; bake in 350 F oven for about 30 minutes. Turn cake onto a wire rack to cool.
.
Cut cake into 25 squares. At this point you can leave the cake over night to get a bit stale, it will absorb more frosting this way and be more chocolaty.
.
To make frosting.

Sift icing sugar and cocoa into heatproof bowl; stir in butter and milk. Stir icing over pan of simmering water until it is of a coating consistency. Dip the squares of cake into the icing and cover the cake completely. I used a 2 prong roasting fork. Then roll the coated cake in the coconut.
.
*** To make self raising flour. Place 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/8 tsp of salt in the bottom of a 1/3 cup measuring cup. Fill with all purpose flour. Mix well.
.
Darilyn has posted her instructions for microwave bacon without the stove top spatters.
.
Ami McKay, author of 'The Birth House' has posted her family recipe for Grandma Tilly's Lebkuchen

.


Visit 'Weekend Cooking' over at 'Beth Fish Reads' to see what other bloggers have been cooking this week.

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Wow, that looks amazing! It also looks like a lot of work.

Heather said...

actually, it wasn't that bad at all. you bake the cake one day and then do the frosting and coconut the next.

Jill said...

I love bite-sized food...thanks for sharing this recipe!

Beth F said...

I haven't heard of these but they look perfect to taking to a picnic or for a buffet table. Yummy.

Diana LaMarre said...

Tiny cakes appeal to me, too. And I love coconut.

I think I will try this one. Does the cake taste like or crumble like corn muffins do?

Heather said...

HI Zoey
The cake is very nice, but I wouldn't eat it without the coating. Its a firm texture with lots of little bubbles. Not at all like a corn bread. its more like a honey cake though not as sweet. I think this is because of mixing the eggs for 10 minutes. They become almost like a meringue.