Thursday 21 January 2010

Recipe Thursday - A healthy breakfast alternative

I've never been a fan of bacon and eggs for breakfast. It always seems to sit heavy in my stomach. Sugary cereals leave me hungry again in less than an hour.

I had some left over brown rice and decided that would do. I put 1/2 cup of cooked rice, 1/2 cup soy milk and a small hand of dried fruit in a bowl, popped it in the microwave for 2 minutes and voila, a filling breakfast. I usually add a tablespoon of sunflower seeds once it's warmed.

Occasionally I will mix in a whole egg before the microwave, but you need to remember to stir it every minute or so while heating, and extend the cooking time to about 3 or 3 1/2 minutes. Add fresh fruit when you have some. This keeps me going till lunch time.

I would love to hear what you have for breakfast. Leave a comment with your recommendations.


Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page

11 comments:

B.Kienapple said...

Adding an egg is a really interesting idea, I'll have to try it. A banana and peanut butter is my favorite breakfast..Nutella too for a special treat!

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
I usually have a muffin and a fountain Coke for breakfast, I know not very nutritious, but good! That picture of your dog with the cereal box on his head is hilarious! It made me giggle. Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

bermudaonion said...

My husband loves rice, so he'd probably like this!

Jill said...

I'm going to have to try this. I really struggle with breakfast...my weekday go-to is peanut butter on a wheat English muffin.

Margot said...

I like your idea for a lasting breakfast. I have the same problem. Even sugar-less cereals like plain oatmeal have me hungry in an hour. I make up my own muffins, which includes oatmeal, dried fruit, nuts, etc., and that, plus yogurt, keeps me going a long time.

Beth F said...

This sounds like a great way to start the day and to use up leftover rice. Yumm.

Chrisbookarama said...

I'm usually just a cereal girl but my husband makes waffles every weekend.

JoAnn said...

I've been having yogurt for breakfast lately, and add in either grapenuts or bran buds cereal. It is surprisingly filling and stays with me for hours!

Beth said...

When I was a kid my mom was always feeding us last night's dinner rice as cereal the next morning. It's still one of my go to comfort foods--I love it with raisins and cinnamon.

Heather said...

Hi Beth,
I hadn't thought of sprinkling with cinnamon. thanks, will try and remember next time.

Heather said...

Other than a glass of coke, what great suggestions for breakfast cereal alternatives. Thanks for all your suggestions.