Monday 10 August 2009

Endurrun 2009 Day 2 Food Update

This is my fourth year volunteering at this running series. I am still amazed that anyone would willing spend a week of their vacation and want to run 7 consecutive races for a total of 160 km, many of them up and down steep hills.
If you are curious go visit the Endurrun 2009 website.
It takes a lot of energy to run these races, which range from 10k to a full Marathon. To keep the runners going requires lots of good food. Likewise to keep the multitudes of volunteers happy, we have to feed them as well.
I guess I really didn't know what I was doing when I walked across the street one day and asked my neighbours what all this todo was about. They told me about the race and I volunteered. I have marshalled on busy corners, (getting to stop traffic is so cool, once I even had to stop a police car so a runner could go past), handed out more cups of water and Gatorade than I can imagine, roamed the courses with runners' cameras and took hundreds of pictures and made countless dishes to help feed all involved. Its the food I want to talk about this year.
Prior to race week, the food committee had several meetings to devise a menu. This year Ian suggested that we have theme days. We all loved that and when I got home I started searching through my cookbooks.
Day 1 - half Marathon
The theme on Sunday was 'BBQ'
From the Vegetariana cookbook by Nava Atlas, I selected 'Hearty Pasta and Red Bean Salad' . This salad has a yogurt sauce spiced with chili powder , coriander, paprika and sage. Very well received and I will be making this again for my family.

Lighthearted Everyday Cooking by Anne Lindsay is one of my most frequently used cookbooks. I have been making the 'Broccoli Buffet Salad' for the past 3 years and usually make it on three race days. Yes, it really is that popular. I tend to think that the combination of sunflower seeds, raisins and feta cheese are a winning combination.


The only brownie recipe I use is from 'The Good Cake Book' by Diana Dalsass. I have been using this since university days and expect to use it for many more.




Day Two
Theme for today was 'European Bistro'. Deli meat sandwich were the main course thought this year they were offered with rye bread and croissants as well as the regular sub type rolls. I used Anne Lindsay's 'Light Kitchen' for an 'Easy Couscous Vegetable Salad'. This one met the needs of the dietary needs of most of the participants.
We have vegetarians, lactose intolerance, soy intolerance, and a few other allergies to contend with, though we always manage to feed all the participants and volunteers.
Tomorrow is a 'Middle Eastern Eatery' so visit me later on Tuesday to see which cookbooks I pulled off the shelf.



No comments: