Tuesday 22 March 2011

Needlework Tuesday - Fussy Work

You can win these socks.  Be sure to enter my contest to win these popular sushi socks.  International entrants welcome. Click here for the rules.  I am so pleased with the number of entrants that I am going to increase the number of prizes.  Haven't decided yet what I will 'make' but it will be nice and hopefully thematically related.

I did get a bit more embroidery completed this week.  I have decided that I will stick with the leaves.  This week i am working with a slightly darker green.  I can tell in person that there is a difference, but it doesn't really show in this photo.  I have started on the second pillowcase, though am not so far on it.  Next week I'll show a photo with both.


To better accomplish the mystery quilt that I am working on, I bought the Clearview Super 60 ruler.  I could have selected the smaller and slightly less expensive Clearview triangle, but what the heck, for a few dollars more I get the 120 degree angle at the right hand side which should be great for cutting border pieces.  this is from Alicia's Attic though I did shop locally.

If you are following along with the mystery from Gayle Bong, you know why I need this ruler.  If not, check the photo below.  It shows the odd shape units that I had to cut from the background fabric.  It has 30-60-90 triangles cut from two corners.  You can cut with a regular ruler, but you have to be real careful.  Even using this ruler, I did make some mistakes cutting too large. I was able to re-cut and didn't waste any fabric.


I now have 24 of these units completed.  The top one is trimmed to size and the bottom still shows the dog ears.

Next I have to tackle Gayle's signature 30 Something units. I think we make 40 of them.

You now know where I am in my projects, you have clicked and entered my sushi sock contest, and now we get to check in on friends and see what they have been up to.

Rikki from The Bookkeeper is planning to join in the stitching fun.  Her favourite needlework activity is actually done with a hook, but that still fits.  I am looking forward to seeing her crochet projects.  Rikki has a second blog that she dedicates to her crafting called Rikki's Teleidoscope.  Click the link to see the stole that she is working on.

 Marie at Daisy's Book Journal told me last week that she also had some unfinished embroidery projects at hand.  I am curious to see what they might be.  Her latest post deals with the possibility of flooding on her property.  eeks.

Let me know if you'd like to join the three of us for Needlework Tuesday.  We'd love to have you on board to share projects and encourage each other.

4 comments:

Rikki said...

Hi Heather, I posted my first Needlework Tuesday post (just, as you say, today for me it should be Hook work Tuesday). I am using my crafts blog for this, not my book blog. The link is here: http://www.scrapmania.net/rikkiblog/?p=1702
Next week I might talk about some sewing I am planning to do - but don't expect too much, I am an absolute beginner at sewing.
I can't wait to see more of your quilt, have to admit though that I have no idea about what this ruler does and why it is better than the other one, :).

Martha@Hey, I want to read that said...

I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished quilt. I love the colors you're using.

Susan In Texas said...

Guess what, Heather!!! You won first prize on my blog giveaway at http://susanintexas.blogspot.com.

First prize: The Kaffe Fassett "Paisley Collection" by Westminster Fibers - 30 FQ's

You have until April 1st to send your snail mail address to gentle_poster@charter.net

Thanks,
Susan in Texas

Christine M said...

Your embroidery is just lovely!