Thursday 31 March 2011

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Science Fiction novel first published in 1969.  Even though this book was published over forty years ago, it is still a thought provoking read. 

Bill Pilgrim is an optometrist who has a very odd tendency to travel through the times of his life. As a young man, he already knows the time and situation of his death.  During his travels back and forth through time, he is also abducted by extra-terrestrials from the planet Tralfamadore, where he is exhibited in a zoo for many years.  These beings belief that all time co-exists, that it is not linear.  A very interesting concept to ponder (if you have the time, sorry, had to say that).

I found the descriptions of the fire bombing of Dresden, Germany upsetting.  I am not a student of history, and was unaware of this event.  I now have images engraved in my mind that will remain there.

Really not to sure what I think about this book.  I did like the mix of fiction and fact, and the challenge to me to double check which are the facts.  I will be checking hubby's book shelf for other works by Mr. Vonnegut.

Official website of Kurt Vonnegut

This is my 34th read for the Read, Remember, Recommend Fiction Challenge.  This is hosted by Rachelle at Bibliobabe and draws to a conclusion tomorrow.  Be sure to visit with Rachelle and enter her monthly free book contest.

1 comment:

Dorte H said...

Even though this novel was one of those I was ´forced´ to read as a young student, I could see how intriguing it was. Vonnegut is a brilliant writer.