Monday 7 March 2011

One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson

Jackson Brodie expected a pleasant, restful vacation in Edinburgh with his girlfriend, Julia.  Shortly after his arrival a  number of  unsavoury events occurred which seemed to conspire against this. He became embroiled in a fight, a possible murder, and several other wicked crimes.  Retirement should be much calmer that this.  It's not only Brodie that had a bad several days.  Author Martin Canning had no intentions of attacking a motorist,  Paul Bradley didn't plan to become a victim of road rage, and Graham Hatter naturally assumed he'd continue to get away with his secret trysts.
I first met the character of Jackson Brodie in Ms. Atkinson's earlier book Case Histories.  I was amazed how the author could take such seeming un-connected incidences and tie them together back to a missing child.  She did not fail to amaze again.  I sat riveted, page after page, waiting to see how these stories would pull together.  I was not to be disappointed.  The only part of the story I didn't like was the character of Julia.  She was a wet noodle the whole way through.  Then again, that's exactly how she was planned to appear.  Sorry, can't say any more on that.  This was a terrific story and it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole way through.  And no, I didn't guess at the final outcomes of the various story lines.  Right to the end, they were surprises.

When I purchased this book, I also purchased a copy of the next Jackson Brodie book When Will There be Good News? and am looking forward to reading it.

Visit author Kate Atkinson's website for a complete listing of her books, including her latest Started Early, Took My Dog.

This is my 29th book for the Read, Remember, Recommend Fiction Challenge being hosted by Rachelle at Bibliobabe.com.   Follow the link to the comment section where further links to dozens of reviews of award winning books are listed.  There is also a Free Book Giveaway that you can elect to enter.

4 comments:

Mystica said...

I like the story of this book. A new one for me so thanks for the post.

Martha@Hey, I want to read that said...

I have Case Histories on my Nook and plan on reading it soon. I will keep this in mind for when I'm done.

Dorte H said...

It´s funny because I loved her first and third book, but this one annoyed me a bit. I just never felt the initial attack on the guy in the car (don´t remember any of the names any more) made sense. I am not sure the first or the third book made much sense either, still they were more or less irresistible to me, and I look forward to her fourth novel very much.

Marie said...

Nice review. I've read "When Will There be Good News" and really enjoyed it. I hope you do too. I have the other two books, Case Histories and this one, on my to-be-read shelf. Some day...