Tuesday 28 February 2012

Needlework Tuesday - A Myriad of Possibilities

 Needlework Tuesday is open to all readers looking for inspiration, encouragement or who want to share their recent needlework project. Introduce yourself in the comments and be sure to leave a link to your current post. Feel free to grab the cute little mouse for your post.


Still knitting away on my cowl.  I am on my third ball of wool and am now using the 4.0 mm needles.  I have about 15 rows of pattern to complete, then a few rows of garter stitch and then it's the picot bind off on both ends.



This was a great week for machine quilting.  I put on my glass  gloves and away I go.  Glass gloves are almost the same as those fancy gloves you buy at the quilting store, with the exception that they cost a lot less.  I bought mine at Marks Work Warehouse.  I managed to get a bit of quilting in each day.  I tried to minimize stitch-in-the-ditch, but there were times when it was definitely needed.  I used to tissue paper trick in a few spots and lots of free motion in the background areas.

 It was a bit much stitching around all those tiny circles, but the effect is nice.  I stitched butterflies in the orange background triangles.  Depending on the space I did small fingernail size butterflies and in others about the size of a quarter.  The flower is traced from one of the fabrics.



 My local guild meeting was last evening.  We were learning to do 'cut work' applique.  This first photo shows the two layers basted together.  I have started cutting just outside the outer line.  Am using needle turn to fix down that edge.
This close-up shows it a little better.  Once I have the outer edge of the 'snowflake' stitched, then I have eight leaf shapes to reverse applique.  This block will then be donated back to the guild, where they will put together a quilt that will then be donated to the Mennonite Relief Sale to be auctioned off in May 2013 in New Hamburg.

What have you been stitching this week?

Linda at Scrapmaster has been working on some cute house blocks.

Rikki at Rikki's Teleidoscope has crafted a thrifty hat.

3 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Loving that butterfly motif.

Marie said...

Love, love, love the orange fabrics and the fabrics you choose to go with them. Nice quilting work!

Jo-Jo said...

I love the pattern in that cowl! I'm hoping to get some knitting done tonight myself.