Tuesday 21 February 2012

Needlework Tuesday - Not Quite a Table Runner

Needlework Tuesday is open to all readers looking for inspiration, encouragement or who want to share their recent needlework project. Introduce yourself in the comments and be sure to leave a link to your current post. Feel free to grab the cute little mouse for your post.

I did sit down this morning to write this post, but blogger seemed to be be mis-behaving.  I waited, and waited, still the little spinning circle in the middle of the post area. Turns out blogger is not having problems, they have just stopped supporting my browser.  They suggested going to Google Chrome, but that doesn't work on my slightly ancient computer.  I loaded Firefox, latest version, but it still tells me that it doesn't support it, arg.  I will fumble along and see how it goes.  Back to the current Needlework post.

Last week I was telling you about a table runner that I was making for my mom.   She doesn't have a coffee table, so she doesn't need a table runner.  I decided on a table cloth size quilt.  Once I had the blocks done, I needed to play with a design.  This first photo shows the table runner that my mom made for me.  Mine should look kind of similar, however, I got distracted and went in a total different direction.  Following are several different designs that I tried out.
Keeping with the square motif. 
 Fun, but wouldn't work flat on a table.
 Could have been done with straight strips instead of all that piecing.
 Getting there, but daughter said it was too square.
 Still too square and she didn't like the pinwheel in the middle.
I was told to try something off centre.

Compare this to the table runner, majorly different.  Hope my mom likes this.  I will put a  rod pocket in case she decides to hang it on the wall.  Measures approximately 44 1/2 inches square. Very purple and green. 

I'll get to quilting it once I finish the bright pink piece that I showed you last week.

I spent a bit of time knitting this week.  It's going very well.  Onto my second ball of wool and moved to the 3.75 mm needles.  Not sure if you can tell that the tension is a bit tighter at the bottom of the photo, it's supposed to be that way.

I hope that my readers found some time for their needlework projects.  We haven't been having typical winter weather, so snow activities are out, but at the same time, it's a bit chilly for spring ones.  Lucky me, I can stay inside and work on my quilts.

I'd like to hear what you've been up to, or better yet, send me links to your current needlework post.

5 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Amazing that you are able to adapt n such a way, how things start out as one thing only to end up as another.

Libby said...

I'm on blogger to and having problems. I thought it was just me. Thanks for sharing that because at least now I know what is going on. Regarding the needlework, I am jealous because I have not done ANY (but I would like to)!

Rikki said...

Is that a scarf you are knitting? It looks fabulous! I love the pattern. Bummer that I hat knitting myself, :).

Marie said...

Love that you can get so many different patterns from the same pieces! The one you ended up with is fantastic. I hope she likes it.

Miri said...

Love the setting you finally decided on...definitely different and quite intriguing!