Saturday 19 January 2013

Weekend Cooking: Eating off the Strip in Las Vegas

Hubby and I were both in Las Vegas last week to attend the International Consumer Electronics Show.  We could have stayed in our hotel and eaten all our meals there. That would have been easy, but also boring, not that the restaurants there weren't excellent, but I just couldn't stay inside, I had to venture out.
 
We had thought to visit one of the restaurants featured on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives, but they didn't appeal to my  tastebuds.  I did get a little booklet from the taxi, I think it was called 24/7.  It was filled with advertisements and coupons.  ONe of these was for a place called The Egg and I. A quick search on the internet and we were looking at their menu.  Oh yes, this would work for both of us.
 
It was about a ten minute drive off the strip, and very easy to find, GPS does help when ever travelling.
 

I read the menu front to back, there are dozens of dishes to choose from, and decided upon the Fresh Diced Vegetable Skillet.  I do think that it was the bed of Ranch Potatoes that sold me.  Those are perfectly poached eggs perched on the top and hiding below the cheese are oodles of fresh vegetables.  I was in heaven.   With each dish, you have the option of toast or of a freshly baked Banananut Muffin.  Ours were warm when served and were wonderful. 

Hubby only looked at one item on the menue and he was sold, Blackened Prime Rib Benny.  This wasvariation of  eggs benedict served on a grilled croissant, with blackened prime rib, veggies, poached eggs, all smothered in hollandaise sauce.  I was allowed a tiny little bit of the prime rib and it was so tender and flavourful that I understood why it disappeared so quickly.
 
The service at The Egg and I exceeded our expectations.  We were seated immediately and warmly welcomed.  We both appreciated that when the waitress came and poured our coffee, she left the thermal carafe at the table so that we could refill when required.
 
We have marked this location on the GPS and will be visiting on any return trips to Las Vegas.
 
Now to Dinner.
 
Yama Sushi is where the local people in the know go when they want sit down sushi.  It was just by chance that we happened upon their website while looking for another sushi restaurant.  When we arrived, there was at least a half hour wait.  When I asked the next group in the line, they assured us that it was well worth the wait.  It is a small place and the seats are crowded together, but still enough space to sit and eat without being jostled.
 
One of the house specialties is the Seafood Salad.  We are glad that we accepted the waitresses suggestion.  Essentially, it is a sashimi salad.  Bite size pieces of raw salmon, two types of tuna and one other fish, on a bed of spiral cut vegetables drenched in a tasty, but not too spicy reddish sauce.  We couldn't get enough of this and probably would have ordered a second dish if there hadn't been so many other items to try. 
 
There were a number of special rolls on the menu.  I ordered the Firecracker roll.  It is grilled jalapeno pepper stuffed with cheese, dipped in batter and fried.  Over this was poured the most amazing sauce.  After I finished the japapenos I was dipping my sushi so that I wouldn't miss a single morsel of it.  Yes, it really was that good. 
 
Once again, we added another marker on the GPS and certainly hope to get back to Vegas to eat once again at Yama Sushi, though knowing hubby, we would be eating there at least twice on any future visits.
 
Be sure to visit next Saturday, when I'll have a review of a new cookbook and a contest to win one of three copies of another cookbook, part of my 1000th post celebration.
 
Still open, my contest in celebration of my 1000th post.  Win one of four quilt patterns from designers Babs 'n' Jas.
 
For more foodie fun, be sure to visit Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking Post.  You are invited to add a link to your recent food related post.

14 comments:

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

My son is heading to Vegas in March, I'll be sure to pass along your recommendations.

Beth F said...

Wow! Those breakfast skillets look like they'd fill me up all the way till dinner! I love sashimi, so that salad sounds yummy.

jama said...

Yes, it's definitely better to check out other local restaurants when you travel rather than stay in the hotel :). Glad you enjoyed the food at these two places you found.

Patty said...

oh my... I'm drooling just looking at these... great find!

Rikki said...

That egg place sounds super. I love the pics of your dishes. The one you ordered sounds definitely yummy.

Joy said...

What a yummy way to travel!

Joy's Book Blog

Tara @ Tales of a Book Addict said...

I love Vegas ... I'm going the first week in February for the World of Concrete ... I doubt I'll get off strip this time because I will have my 8 month old son and car rides will be at a minimum since we won't have a rental, but I will definitely make a note of The Egg & I :)

Unknown said...

Love Vegas and really really love a great breakfast place, preferably of the diner variety. I'll have to check this out when we get there next.

Esme said...

potatoes always sell me.

I do want to see the kitties your are knitting.

Angela said...

OMG my mouth is watering just thinking about that Prime rib Benny...

Cecelia said...

Sounds like a successful trip - that food looks delicious! Glad you had such good luck for breakfast!

Anonymous said...

looks very tasty ,all the best stu

Tina said...

Fun trip and great looking food. I sure love a good breakfast.

Unknown said...

I'm a shusi fanatic and tried many, but Yama is one of the best in the country.