Tuesday 19 February 2013

Needlework Tuesday - Six Birds in Flight


Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress or hopes for the needlework projects that I am currently working on. I invite my readers to leave a comment with a link to a post of their current projects. I find this a great way to encourage each other.

In Ontario, yesterday we celebrated Family Day.  Two sets of friends joined us.  One I have known over forty years and the other for at least 35 years.  They have both been considered family for many years (decades really).

Earlier in the week, the members of my quilting bee visited, and I surprised them with a small projects.  They all made tea wallets.  That certainly was a hive of activity. 

Before I get to my progress on the bird quilt, I have a few winners to announce.

In celebration of International Book Giving Day, I decided to give away a copy of Blueberry Rapids by Rene Andre Meshake. 
Using Random.org, the winner is Petty Witter from Pen and Paper

The final contest from my 1000th post celebration was two fabric postcards.

The winner of the embroidered card, made by my mother . Well, the first winner random.org selected didn't leave a means of me to contact her, so I had it/them select another.
The winner is Roslyn of Ros-The-Quilter.

Winner of the piece post card, yet to be made by me, is Kate of Arts and Socks.



Work progresses well on the bird quilt. I can now see the light at the end of this very long tunnel.  The first four blocks are together.  This is the upper right corner.

Close-up of  the intersection of these four blocks and the overlapping applique.

 
The next step was easy as the first two blocks were ready to be added to the left of the four.  This is the top half of the quilt.  Much of the sashing for the bottom half was previously completed, hoping to get the rest finished this week for a big unveil next Tuesday.
 
One of my visitors yesterday, is the son of the owner of the quilt.  He said that she is quite excited that this will soon be finished.  He hadn't expected it to be so large, but that's not a problem.  I had told him the dimensions, but it's not always easy to visualize size, especially when you don't happen to know the dimensions of various mattress sizes off the top of your head.
 
Thanks to all for sticking with me and encouraging me through this project.  It had been hard to work on this quilt.  Each time I pick it up, it makes me think of my friend, daughter of the owner, who had asked me to finish it long before she passed away. I will rest easier knowing I have honoured her request.
 
 

12 comments:

Anya said...

Love that bird quilt!

Roslyn said...

It is delightful a lot of work heather.
BTW love your heart blocks they look PP?

Linda said...

Your bird quilt is just wonderful Heather. I can't wait to see it all finished. The different sashings add so much.

Kate said...

I understand how you fell. I am in the process of finishing a quilt for a friend of mine.
It is turning out just lovely.

Marie said...

That bird quilt is gorgeous! I love all of the colours and different borders.

Regina said...

What a breathtaking labour of love!

Chinoiseries said...

What a gorgeous quilt, Heather, I am sure that the person you are gifting it to will love it a lot. And after she passes... her loved ones will treasure it too.
Anyone can see how much love has been poured into this quilt!

Unknown said...

"The winner of the embroidered card, made by my mother . Well, the first winner random.org selected didn't leave a means of me to contact her, so I had it/them select another. "

Do you mean it was me? Because I see that the only one who doesn't link the comment to a blog is me.
I am just curious, but yes, a little sad too. I checked your blog everyday, Hehe :)

Tami said...

This quilt is amazing. What in incredible amount of work - and beautifully done. And extra special because of the connection. Kudos to you for honoring your friend.

Elly D said...

This is such a beautiful quilt. I look forward to seeing it progress to the finish.

Jenny Girl said...

Beautiful quilt! I know that's a labor of love and you should be proud.

Carole said...

Heather, I just love your bird quilt! I've never seen anything quite like it before. Have a great week.