Tuesday 5 February 2013

Needlework Tuesday - UFO attacks


Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my current needlework projects.  The encouragement I get from my readers, in the form of comments, encourages me to keep working.  You are welcome to join in, add the cute little mouse to your needlework post and leave me a comment with the link.  I'd love to see what you're working on, and encourage you along they way.
Last week, I had a special interview with crochet artist Kelly Lynn Smith.  It was a real treat getting to know her and her amazing work, both her re-birthed dolls and her crochet designs. You still have time to enter the contest to win her sea animal pattern booklet. Will end February 5, 2013 when I'm enjoying my morning coffee.
 

Two weeks ago, I introduced you to the mitts I started for my sister.  I am using the magic loop method in the hopes that they will turn out the same size.  So far so good.  I am now at the top decreases, only a few more rows to go.  I am a bit nervous that the thumbs are going to be too narrow, but if that happens, I'll re-knit them on a slightly larger size needles.  The fronts are different on both mitts, so you'll have to wait till the final unveil to see the complete image.


Can a UFO really drive a quilter crazy.  Perhaps, is the best answer I have come up with.  I have been working on this off and on for the past three years.  There are a whole bunch of earlier posts detailing that progress.  The history of the bird quilt is described there as well as the pattern source.  Scroll thought those posts for additional close-up photos.   This first photo shows the state of this UFO two weeks ago.  Arg, all the sashing is different, pieced, paper pieced and appliqued, even a bit of embroidery thrown in.  I decided that I would start in the upper left and allow the design to dictate my path from there.


I am not the biggest fan of paper piecing, but I do love the detail that you can get by using it.  I took a methodical approach and worked on all of the blocks at the same time, same step on each one, press, trim, next step.  It went a lot faster than I imagined.

The loon is now fully sashed and waiting for a neighbour.

I forgot to take photos while working on the french braid.  It used 1 1/2 x 5 1/4 inch strips.  The checkerboard used 1 1/2 inch squares.  This fellow will nest below the loon.



To the right of the loon, we find the favourite branch of the oriole.  He wanted flowers.  Lots of applique tulips and some red flower.  There are still some details missing on the flowers, but they are almost ready to be attached.  While many people were watching sports on Sunday, I sat under a bright light and made what seemed like a million tiny stitches.  It is getting harder to do applique.  I have to hold the work far enough away to focus, but then it's too far to actually see in detail.

oh darn, I keep forgetting to add the little butterflies. 

It's really hard to stay focused on just one quilt at a time.  I did take a wee break and work on the mystery quilt that my local guild is doing.  I don't have a photo this week , but I am not finished with that step of the mystery, so stay tuned.

Are you one of the many who resolved to complete ufo's this year?  Share it one your blog, then leave a comment here and I'll  come by and encourage you along the way.

2 comments:

Jenny Girl said...

magic loop and colorwork? you are quite the rockstar! I never mastered magic loop myslef, and I'm torn on colorwork, although mitts are short enough to tackle.

Lady Penguin said...

Your quilts are beautiful and I love those mitts! I have been wanting to try my hand and knitting a pair with the graduating color but I think I am a bit intimidated by it.