Saturday 2 February 2013

Weekend Cooking: Egg Bhurji


Breakfast remains a challenge for me.  When I wake, I want to eat right away and not fuss with recipes and and noisy appliances.  When I found this recipe for Egg Bhurji  in my inbox, I thought it was worth a try. (it was in an email from EatRight Ontario)
 
Egg Bhurji
 
3 whole eggs
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp red chili powder (optional)
1 tsp canola oil
1 green chili pepper, chopped (I used a jalapeno)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup frozen peas
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
 
Directions:
 
Beat Eggs and egg whites in a bowl.  Add the chili powder, if using.  Set aside.
In a fry pan, heat oil over medium heat.  Add the chili pepper and onion and cook until soft.  About 3 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, peas, ginger and garam masala.  Cook for 3 minutes.
Add the egg mixture and stir while cooking for 3 to 5 minutes.  Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately.
 
Visit the EatRight Ontario website for a printable version.
 
 
 Last week while visiting the various posts linked to Weekend Cooking, I found a recipe for Garlicky Tortellini with Shrimp and Arugula.  I had not tried arugula before, but didn't let that stop me.  I made it just as described in the recipe with the exception that I only put in about 3 1/2 oz of the arugula.  It was wonderful and will become a regular dish at my house.  Thanks to Caite at A Lovely Shore Breeze for the recipe.
For more foodie fun, be sure to visit Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking meme.  You are invited to add a link to your recent food related post.
 


12 comments:

Joy said...

That's a lot of spices for breakfast -- intriguing idea. That might be a great way to wake up!

Joy's Book Blog

jama said...

What a unique breakfast dish! I find making breakfast challenging too -- how to get enough protein to start the day off right. :)

Nice that you made the shrimp with arugula too!

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

My son loves Indian food, I'm going to make this for him when he comes home from college.

Beth F said...

I like the sound of that breakfast for a weekend brunch. I like something a bit lighter when I first wake up.

Yes, that shrimp dish looks like a winner. I have it marked to try.

Cecelia said...

I am not a breakfast person - at most I have coffee and a piece of fruit. I'm not sure the savory taste of that dish would appeal. I do know I want to try the arugula and tortellini recipe!

Tina said...

Definitely a rib sticking meal. Perfect for fueling up before going out in this winter weather.

Esme said...

I would never have thought of peas for breakfast.

Rikki said...

That tortellini dish IS a winner, isn't it? It has become a staple meal in our house.

JoAnn said...

Hurray - another recipe using garam masala! I just commented to Fay that I bought some not too long ago and have been looking for more ways to use it. Thanks for this suggestion.

Carole said...

I like your egg dish - might be brunch or lunch for me though. Have a good week.

Anonymous said...

Yay. Another way to use garam masala. Thanks for this.

Chinoiseries said...

The egg bhurji seems to be a little too heavy on the stomach for me. Then again, with only egg whites, it should be ok? Warm breakfasts all the way at the moment, it's too cold for a smoothie or sandwich!