Tuesday 25 June 2013

Needlework Tuesday: One block at a Time

 
Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.
How is it that summer, vacation time, arrives and I am as busy as ever.  I really was looking forward to some quiet reading time, more work on my sister's afghan and completion of a bunch of quilt blocks for the class I am taking.  Not happening.  School is winding up for the year and daughter has lots of summer plans which somehow involve me taking her shopping for all sorts of thing.  hmmm.  my nephew, from New Zealand, arrived on Friday, two weeks sooner than expected.  A good surprise, but it did mean rushing on my part to get the bedroom ready for him.  he arrived safely and we're having a great time. And of course, there are always family events requiring out of town visiting.  Long car rides do give lots of opportunity for reading, big bonus.
 
I did manage to get a bit of sewing.  These blocks are small, finishing at 4 1/2 inches.  I do need to pay more attention to the pressing as it has a big impact on how well they go together.  As noted before, these blocks are all from Judy Martin's book : Knockout blocks and Sampler Quilts.
Fifty more of these little cuties to go.  My plan is to make a bunch each month so that by the time the class is finished, I'll have enough  put together my quilt top.






The afghan for my sister is coming along nicely.  I have completed the first long strip.  I didn't cut the yarn as I'm not sure if the length is correct.  Now I am working on the alternate strip which is made of 12 squares sewn together.  Once I know how long that is, then I'll know how long to make the other strips.  These squares are 5 inches a side.  Have 3 made and 33 to go.  Pattern correction , start with a centre chain 3 to make the circle not 8 as stated.

Currently on my blog, I have two contests, first "A Royal Baby Name Game" where you could win a copy of  If the Shoe Fits by Megan Mulry, and second, A viewers choice, where you get to vote for your favourite quilt and help the make to win a fabric prize.

How is your stitching coming along?

Marie at Daisy's Book Journal has been working on the painting projects that she told us about a few weeks ago.

Tami at Just One More Thing has been busy, first with a quilt top and then with fabric purchases.  She's looking for feedback on the 3 fabrics she has selected for her first full size quilt.
 


2 comments:

Marie said...

Great projects, Heather. I love your little quilt blocks. 50 more, though, sounds a little daunting, but I wish you the best of luck in finishing them.

I hope you find some down time in your busy summer schedule to relax and do some needlework or other crafting projects.

Have a great week!

Mary said...

Great blocks, sewn and crocheted! I admire your patience. I am doing a BOM at my LQS where the blocks are 8" and that is small for me.

Do you use Best Pres or something like that? I make my own from vodka but I found it helped my pressing improve a lot. Can't wait to see your other blocks!