Tuesday 7 April 2015

Needlework Tuesday - Random Patterns

I've had busy fingers this past week.  Knitting and crocheting that is.  I do like little projects that work up quickly and give me the satisfaction of finishing something.  This dishcloth pattern is one of the easiest patterns I've knit and it looks good and is very satisfying to make.  You can find the pattern at this link.  I have been volunteering teaching knitting since the beginning of March.  As a group, we are starting a wall hanging for our meeting room.  We've selected this easy square to make in in six inch size.  Mine is too big, so I'll have to make another and try with one less row before I start the decreases.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

Over at the Kingdom of Coco, Cheryl has been hosting a pincushion contest.  It started in response to a contest in the United States that limited entries to Americans only.  She decided to host a contest open internationally.  I thought this was a wonderful idea and offered to sponsor a prize.


The response may have been limited, but they pincushions are great.  I had a hard time selecting a winner.  Finally, I had to ask myself which pin cushion I'd enjoy having on my sewing table.  I  decided on Balle Rose by Regina.  Regina wins a book of her choice, up to $20. Cdn value from Bookdepository.



 I've been looking for the perfect slipper pattern.  I still haven't found it.  I tried "Chili" from Drops Design.  It looked very promising, but the instructions were so poorly written that it destroyed my enthusiasm for making them.   I persisted and finished the pair, but won't make another.  I made the right size, but they are way too long for me.
Enough of that and on to another project.  I've been knitting a lot for my daughter and wanted to make something for son.  He said he didn't need anything at the moment.  We decided that I would make afghans for two of his friends' whose wives are expecting babies in the summer.  I have started the first one and am loving it.  I selected Super Saver yarn from Bernat.  I like using yarn that is easily machine washed. It stands up to repeated washings and somewhat rough handling/loving.
I found the pattern free at the store, though it can also be found at the Yarnspiration site. Note: I am using a heavier yarn than called for and a larger size crochet hook.  At this time, the afghan measures 19 inches from the centre to the end of one of the points.  I have eight rounds yet to stitch. When I do this pattern next, instead of the chain 2 at the star points, I'll do chain 3.  The chain 2 makes the spine oft he points too short and keeps the blanket from laying flat.

What do you do when you start a project and the instructions are confusing or inaccurate?  Do you continue and make your own instructions, rip it back and move on to another project or ????

Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your current needlework post.

3 comments:

Roslyn said...

I like your two tone dishcloth, might have to try it.
To respond to your question, when I encounter poorly written/inexplicable directions for a project I might just put it away for another day unless it's something that is time sensitive, then I'll either persist with what I have or make up my own!

Kate said...

When the pattern is confusing, I usually just make it up, unless it really isn't working for me, then I go and find another pattern.

Nancy J said...

Congrats Regina, I'm sure we all enjoyed the challenge, and even though there weren't many entries, every one was made specially for this "event" .