Tuesday 26 May 2015

Needlework Tuesday - Small Projects

 As happens too often, I have collected a bunch of patterns for small projects.  These tend to get pushed to the back when a newer pattern comes along.  I didn't want that to happen this time, so I jumped right into them. First a small tote bag.  The Reversible Box Tote by Very Shannon.    I have several metres of  this blue and white stripe fabric that I felt would work nicely.  I cut the outer pieces with the stripes vertical and the lining with them horizontal.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.
 The pattern is for a reversible bag, which I didn't feel was needed.  I changed up the instructions to simplify. I cut the handle 1/2 inch longer than the pattern.  I sewed the outer pieces together along the side seams and then did the same for the lining.  Next pinned the right sides together and then sewed along the curved seams leaving open at the top of the handles and the bottom.
 Turn right side out and press. Top stitch along the curve and baste the outer and lining together along the bottom, leaving the bottom open.

I didn't use any batting or interfacing, instead I top stitched along ever other white row. This served to stiffen the bag a bit without a lot of bulk.

I used a flat fell seam for the handle and double stitched the bottom seam and then over cast it.  Then boxed the corners as in the instructions.  I didn't add the pockets.  The bag is smaller than I thought it would be, but it should be perfect for carrying smaller knitting projects.
 Next up, a small quilting project.  My quilt guild will be having their annual potluck in a few weeks.  For the past few years we have dressed up with fancy hats.  This year for dress up, they asked that we wear aprons.  What, aprons for dress up, you have to be kidding me.  Wear a symbol of female oppression for fancy dress, not a chance.  What to do???   The answer fell into my inbox.  The Fat Quarter Shop is hosting the free Snapshots Quilt along.  This month's block is an apron block.  I can do that.   I cut out all the pieces and clearly labelled them.

Lots of pieces, but not an outrageous number.  I took my time so I didn't make too many errors, only had to trim   one piece and re-cut another.  Have to remember to line up the fabric correctly when cutting two layers.

 The top/bib of the apron when together nicely  as did the bottom.
The block finishes at 12 x 16 inches.  I'll be layering this up and making it into a wall hanging for my kitchen.  It will also attend my potluck in place of me wearing an apron. 

To the women reading this post, would you wear an apron to a celebratory event?  I don't wear one at home when cooking, I tuck a tea towel in the neck of my shirt and call it good enough, so why in the world would I wear one out of the house?

Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your current needlework post.


No comments: