Tuesday 12 May 2015

Needlework Tuesday - Using Materials in Unusual Ways


 On Sunday, we celebrated Mother's Day.  Instead of taking my mom out to dinner, I decided we'd eat at her house.  I make several salads and some desserts, and asked my son to pick up some cooked chicken.  We had a lovely time, then we packed up everything and drove across town to my sister's house.  She had to work that day, so she appreciated that we brought dinner with us.  Then we all had dessert together.

My mother gave me a surprise gift that one of her friends made for me.  Using an assortment of threads, she crocheted this dish cloth.  What makes it unique, is that she used one strand of thicker cotton and combined it with several strands of sewing thread.   A very imaginative way of using up threads that are a colour you generally don't sew with.


This has me wondering what other materials I have been using in different ways.  Nothing is really coming to mind at this moment, but I'm sure that given a bit of time, I'll come up with some good ones.  Perhaps you have some projects that fit into this category, I'll love to hear about them.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

I have been trying to work on my One Patch Wonder for a bit each day.  Each day might be a bit optimistic, but I am trying.  As i finish a block I put it back in it's correct spot.  Some are even sewn to their neighbours.  I'll post it again when more visible progress has been made.

My yard is calling to me.  It is covered in those 'yellow' flowers and our jurisdiction doesn't allow the use of pesticides any longer.  We tried using Weed Be Gone, but it only seems to have resulted in a great flourish of yellow.  It's back to hand digging.  Yard work and needlework doesn't work together in my mind.  Using thick leather gardening gloves does help keep the fingers clean, though every now and then I do forget and end up with grubby hands that are hard to scrub clean.  I worry about the dirt transferring to my projects.  Oh well, I suppose the fresh air can't hurt, except for the maybe the pollen tsunami that the  media says is heading our way.

Mister Linky is waiting below for  a link to your needlework post.

1 comment:

Marie said...

Lovely dishcloth! That's a great idea to use different sewing threads to crochet with.

My yard is also calling me. I love being outdoors digging in the dirt. Our summers are just too short. I use gloves 99% of the time, along with long sleeves. It's not just the dirt and having to scrub filthy hands. For some reason, I'm a magnet for splinters and I seem to come away with numerous cuts, scrapes, and whatnot, just from working the in garden/yard for a few hours.

Our crop of yellow flowers is also flourishing. Not sure our plan of attack, yet. I don't think it'll include hand digging, though.

Have a great week.