Tuesday 9 June 2015

Needlework Tuesday - Back to the beginning with a Granny Square

Over the past few years I've been doing a fair amount of knitting and crochet.  Mostly I use worsted weight yarns.  I like this weight, it feels solid between my fingers and works up quickly,  Bonus of using one size is that the remains can be used in other projects.   I had lots of little bits sitting around and decided that a granny square afghan would be a great way to make use of them.  To tie the colours together, I am using black after every 5th and every 3rd round alternately.

Right now it's about 23 inches along a side.  I'll keep adding to it as time and scraps are available.  It would be nice if it was bed size when I finally stop, but that would make for very long sides which might go against my attention span.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

 Years ago, before I left for university, my mother gave me this large afghan. I still love the colours and daughter now has it one her bed.
One of my aunts made this for my son when he was a new born. i guess she was hedging her bet when she chose the colours.

Have you made a granny square afghan .  i'd love to see a photo.  Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your granny project, it doesn't have to be a new post either.

Thanks for sharing.

2 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Love your Granny Square Afghans, they are all beautiful. I've never made a Giant Granny Square Afghan. Always wanted to, but never got around to it. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Food for Thought

Roslyn said...

I have just two Granny square projects and only one that I made. I never sit down unless it is at my sewing machine so I do very little handwork .
Basically I am a quilter!