Tuesday 30 June 2015

Needlework Tuesday - a Second Rug

It was a gorgeous sunset yesterday. The pinks and blues were so soothing, I could have stood out there till it was dark.  I'll take inspiration where ever it appears and these colours certainly work in with the projects I have been doing lately.  I like the wide range of shades, tints, and hues that come to mind when I think pink.   From the palest pastel to the most vivid fuchsia, all pinks are good and some even great.

 Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

Last week, Sherrie, one of my earliest readers, asked about working with chunky yarns.  I usually knit and crochet with worsted weight, though lately I've been setting my fingers to chunky.  I does take a bit of getting used to.  The larger hook/needle size means that your project works up quicker.  I've found some patterns call for only a slight increase in the tool size resulting  in a very dense product.  This is very hard on my hands and I don't usually like to stiffness.  I much prefer a larger tool that gives a soft body.  So much easier on my hands.  The larger hook is easier to hold in crochet, but I am not as comfortable when knitting with the larger needles.  In both cases, it does get easier as the project progresses and I  get used to the feel.  Working with chunky yarn is definitely worth trying as long as your tool size is large enough and not making a super stiff project.

 I love the border stitch of the rug I started last week.  It is comprised of front post double crochet alternating with back post double crochet.  Easy to get the hang of after a couple of repeats.  I did make a mistake which I didn't notice till the next round.  Solution, I just skipped the extra stitch and it seems to have disappeared.

I am really happy with this project and can imagine myself making another..  It measures 37 x 22 inches, which is slightly smaller than the pattern.  I used a 9 mm hook.  Several family and friends have tested it, and all agree that is has a nice cushy feel beneath the foot.

After the success of this first rug, I had to start on a next one.  This new one for daughter. She has a lot of hardwood in her new apartment and doesn't want cold feet on those winter mornings.  It is basically a long scarf.  The "One Skein Shoe Rug" by Art Fiend. I am using a ball of Bernat Softee Chunky Twist.  It is three strands wrapped together: red, pink, and purple.

The cable pattern is fairly common and fun to work.  it is unusual in that it has me knitting through the back of the stitch for the travelling cable stitches.  Easy to do once I got used to it.

Along with the rugs, I am also interested in stitching/quilting some little bags.  I want to use them as gifts, so not too big.  I welcome your pattern suggestions.

Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your current needlework project, or to a previous post showing a quilted bag.


3 comments:

Roslyn said...

The rug is adorable, wish I needed one!
I recently made some little gift bags with left over fabric pieces. I am leaving the link with Mr.Linky.

Kate said...

I made some bags recently. You can see them here. http://artsandsocks.blogspot.ca/2015/06/for-kittens.html

Tami said...

I have been making a variety of bags lately and have posted them all on my blog. There are links back to all the original patterns. Hope you find something you like. Not sure why I haven't gotten around to linking those posts with NWT, but life has been a huge circus lately.

Love the rugs. Sounds so much softer underfoot than the standard purchased rug. Beautiful work!